Go Buy the stocks

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image51
    Pambikposted 16 years ago

This is the time to buy the stock for long term and hold for a period of 6 months.
    See what happens?

1. profile image48
      Donna18posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes my friend you are right as the market is not on peak so there is every chances that in the upcoming months you can make huge profit. And holding the stock for the period of minimum six months is absolutely crucial.

1. ngureco profile image82
        ngurecoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Pambik wrote that advice nine months ago and it was valid then but not now. Right now the markets are in a downtrend. These markets are right now as good as falling knives and swords.

2. hubby7 profile image65
      hubby7posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree that this is the right time to buy stocks. In fact, I myself went out and purchased several shares when the market plunged more than 700 points. However, I do not consider a 6 month holding period as a long term investment. Also, I would add that you don't want to go out and buy just any stock since it is selling at a low price. You have to do your research on it first to find out whether the company is financially sound.

hubby7

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Six months is long term?

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

For a daytrader big_smile

4. Mark Knowles profile image58

big_smile

Hadn't thought of that.

I will, of course, be rushing out to take this obviously wealthy, well respected stock trading guru's advice immediately. smile

Where is that sarcastic smilie?

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Unfortunately he did not say which stock to buy, and there are so many of them sad I got lost big_smile Have to wait for the next guru, then wink

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh he said stock!?, I'm sorry I was looking for new socks.

I'll try elsewhere!

1. profile image0
        shinujohn2008posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Very Funny

6. Mark Knowles profile image58

Oddly enough, he has one hub which attempts to persuade you to buy a particular stock. Weird huh?

7. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

No Mark, I think you did not read it carefully, he does not give a particular stock, he just talks about Indian indexes. Are we supposed to buy ETFs?

8. Mark Knowles profile image58

LOL. It's fair to say, I looked at it for about 12 milliseconds.

9. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

on the reality side, I'm not a stock broker and I tend to look at the market as a big mass wave for my purposes, but GE seems to be doing well and doubtlessly will continue to at least until Bush leaves office. :p

It was one of the few stocks that gained during the massive fall week before last.  Electric which of course is related to oil, which of course is what makes Bush and Cheney rich.  If I were to invest at all, I'd look at what Dick Cheney has his money in. neutral

10. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

That's not reality, Idunn, that's an illusion, too wink

11. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

I always have trouble with those. yikes

12. Blaine561 profile image61
    Blaine561posted 16 years ago

If you are interested in options trading you should check out my newest flagship hubpage.

I have created, sponsored by Options University, a new Flagship Hub for options traders, beginners and veterans.  The flagship contains seven articles on various aspects of options trading and different options trading strategies, but I have included 20 satellite hubpages, to start, each with a unique outlook on the stock market and options trading, I have, thanks to Options University, another 50 articles from some of their top writers and options trading strategists, yet to be put up.  I hope to get at least two to four new hubpages posted each day for the next couple of weeks, so come back and check it out often for the latest tips from some of the leaders in options trading strategies. 

<snipped link>

Blaine561

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Firstly, that hub is emphatically not a Flagship hub.  Flagship hubs are hubs that follow a rigid set of guidelines on approved topics, by approved authors.

Secondly, the hub is overly promotional, and has been flagged for revision.

13. INDRANI profile image61
    INDRANIposted 15 years ago

About my own experience, I strongly advise getting some education before you trade. Trading is an entirely learned skill.  Having dedication for the markets is most important.

<snipped link>

14. patnamohan profile image58
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

Stock is out of my reach!!!!!!

15. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Read somewhere to wait until the market downs to 5,000.

16. Reealjrd profile image62
    Reealjrdposted 15 years ago

Hello all,

Yes it is the time to go for trading in stocks. But do not hold any positions, present market scenario is for intraday trading just book profits and come out. Remember one thing us stoploss with every trade.

17. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I took this chap's advice, and bought chicken and vegetable stocks, and they helped make good meals. So shame on you doubters!

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol - These are the only stocks I am investing in at the moment.

Just remember - stocks can go up or down. big_smile

18. WeddingConsultant profile image65
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

These stocks are QUITE cheap at the moment, you might want to jump all over it before the prices increase again!

On a more serious note...

I follow Warren Buffet's advice:
    Get greedy when the market is fearful and fearful when the market is greedy.

Although I've had limited success in day trading (gained a few hundred bucks), I'm still sitting on two stocks that will be more long term.

I'm pretty certain that this year is a great time to buy, but as was said earlier, do research first. Find a stock that pays dividends (for a cheater's guide, you can check this site out), make sure you don't pick a company that's going to go bankrupt or become outdated, then just be patient and stick with it.

As long as you know your limits and don't get overly greedy, you should be in good shape.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Didn't Circuit city declare bankruptcy and are liquidating their stores as we speak(write)?sad

2. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL Pete, this is the great advice smile

Now, could you please disclose the method you use for this? So far I am not aware of any surefire one sad

PS And yes, I remember seeing reports recently of CC going to underwater sad

19. WeddingConsultant profile image65

Stacie, who on earth told you that? That is 100% false.

So false, in fact, that I am betting on it. I am the primary stock-holder for Circuit City with 1.4 million stocks in them. It's like taking candy from a baby, it's so cheap!

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

read all about it;  " http://www.circuitcity.com/closed.htmlcircuit City declares bankruptcy"

1. WeddingConsultant profile image65
        WeddingConsultantposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Stacie, I should probably call attention to my disclaimer in my profile- I appreciate using humor often!

20. WeddingConsultant profile image65

Misha, that link I put up for the dividend investor website is a good one. (here it is again). I have no affiliation with it, but with as much as I recommend it maybe I should look into that smile

If you're thinking long term, I'd go with one that pays a solid dividend. That website breaks everything down:
    * how long the company has been in business
    * what kind of dividends (in terms of percentages) you can expect
    * when the next dividend payout is expected (this is quite important)
    * how long the company has been paying dividends (the longer, the better generally)
    etc.

Apart from the stocks in my retirement account (and yes, we have one at our age!), I only currently hold stocks in two different companies. One pays dividends and the other is an airline company that pays zero dividends. Honestly, if we could afford to invest more, we would do it in a heartbeat, that's how serious I am about it being a good time.

I could probably go on and on as to my methods/advice, but now I'm thinking it might be a good hub topic...

Are you thinking about doing some investing Misha?

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL Pete, I've been in this business for quite some time. Gosh, you even did not see sarcasm in my previous post yikes

I am sure it's not the time to buy yet smile

I am not going to argue with you about this, this is your money, so make your own mistakes and we'll talk a few years down the road smile

21. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

I anyone would like to invest in some great stock but isn't sure how to do it, send me the first million you want to invest and I'll do it for you. He he. big_smile

22. profile image0

Oh yes and if you need to contact me directly, I'm temporarily confined to my Manhattan Apartment. Pay no attention to those armed police persons outside the door. They're liars, all of them.

Just throw a rock at my window or something. With money tied around it.

23. WeddingConsultant profile image65

big_smile

24. WeddingConsultant profile image65

haha I wondered wink

And yes, we'll talk some years down the road! I take it you're hanging on to your money right now? Good! That fear will continue to keep prices down for guys like me!

lol

You are sadly mistaken here WC. I just had dinner with a friend of mine who was American Express' New York head for some years.

He just lost most of his money in the Icelandic crash and Barclays bank and said, and I quote, "I honestly have no idea where to put what is left of my money. I was a professional banker for 25 years and I have no idea what is going on."

But you keep buying them up at those low, low prices....... Sure to come back big_smile

25. WeddingConsultant profile image65

What do you think is happening? Sure the stock prices might go down further, but the only way for things to be a total loss is for the stock market to crash, the U.S. to crash, the company you invested in to collapse (which is probably the most realistic possibility), or some other catastrophe.

Personally, I'm choosing to have some faith in our country, our economic system as a whole and yes, I'm counting on not having a catastrophe (might be my downfall with that last one).

As long as you're not looking to the stock market for a quick buck or two and you're willing to have patience and hold on to the stocks, now is a great time to buy.

And I realize I'm going against the grain of common perceptions of the market here. But that's sometimes a good thing. As I saw on a t-shirt once: any dead fish can tumble down stream. Go against the flow.

You hit the nail on the head right there big_smile

Don't want to bore you with details but the banks are broke, the govs are broke and there is a very, very, very real chance of this.

Citibank went broke for goodness' sake. Don't believe me - read the news. It is all downhill after a brief Obama upsurge.

If you are going to play the game - you need some information - not faith big_smile

26. WeddingConsultant profile image65

Believe you me, I'm not buying stocks and having "faith" that they'll perform well.

Now you're right about citi not being in good shape and I do think they'll go under, but they haven't gone under yet, have they? Not that it makes much difference really, but I hadn't heard the official word on them going under...I just know they're in trouble.

Who'da thought, since I'm paying them so much each month on my mortgage!

I think our difference here is our outlook on the current situation. I think we agree that things are bleak, but I think things will take an upturn, and you think things won't.

Going back to what I've said in other threads, I think the situation today is a good thing. It's like hitting the "reset button" on the spending machine. Consumerism has all but consumed us, Americans (and even others) are realizing this and are questioning their spending habits, their trust in money, and so forth.

But I'm really sticking to my guns that things will get better. When? Where? How? Well, that's another thread, another time and impossible to answer now. Maybe hindsight?

27. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

It's your money. big_smile

28. profile image0

If I had any money to invest right now I would put it into anything that would move me toward energy independence and self-sufficiency. Land, solar panels & batteries, a wind generator, a wood stove and some form of back up plan for heat if wood is not available, insulation, a home garden and orchard that is irrigated with grey water. A rain barrel or cistern would be a good idea. Anything you throw into a bank account or the stock market right now could go right down the toilet. I'm not saying that because I don't believe in the U.S., I'm saying it because I can see what's right in front of my face. 

The trouble with the stock market right now is, yes, prices are low, but not even top economists know how this will all sort out. The world ten years from now could be unrecognizable to us--for good or ill. I don't think most people have a clue how FUBAR the system is at this moment.

Misha & Mark are right. Don't take it personally, but please do be careful. Make some sensible preparations with that money. smile

1. WeddingConsultant profile image65
      WeddingConsultantposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's a great point- invest in something that has a definite ROI such as solar panels or wind generators. I'm kicking myself because about five years ago I was close to going in with a friend to purchase a wind generator somewhere in Sir Dent's neighborhood (windy WVA), but we both back away from it. Oh well!

But no offense taken- everyone interprets the situation differently (even the experts disagree greatly). It's certainly uncharted territory for many although some say it's reminiscent of the Great Depression. I picture the economy as a person in a dark room. They're feeling around, not able to see what's in front of them, sort of wandering. It will be some time before there's some light shed into the situation, so until then we'll have to wait and see.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)