jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Unsubsidized Student Loan Question!

1. girly_girl09 profile image75
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with these types of government loans? I qualified for a $1,000 unsubsidized loan (whoopee, I know - but it's 1k less in private loans!) Anyways, I signed up for it through Sallie Mae and have never used that company before. I only got around $985 of the $1000 applied to my tuition balance....any ideas why?

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image77
      Wayne Orvisburgposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have one of these loans. Although, I'm not sure why only $985 was applied. Unless that was your balance and you'll get a check for the other $15. However, it's been a few years since I initially got mine and Sallie Mae has had some issues since then.

2. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

College deducted a processing fee maybe? hmm I had to use loans to make up for the difference between US and Canadian $ tongue

3. girly_girl09 profile image75
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

I am not thrilled to be using Sallie Mae, I do my private loans through Chase bank and that works out well. I am just going to do my gov't loan for 1k each semester through Sallie Mae...I figure it is not as bad as taking out $50k+ in loans from them. I've heard many bad things.

The $985 is weird...maybe it's some processing fee lol who knows. Lord knows there are not enough fees associated with college! I just love my $250 "Comprehensive fee". I asked what it was for. They just said it's "comprehensive - it includes many fees".

I said I'd rather see them categorized, but apparently they don't do that. You blindly pay the $250 and don't ask questions.

hahaha

4. Wayne Orvisburg profile image77
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 7 years ago

Never ask questions at a college. That would make no sense at all! LOL!

5. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

Just whatever it takes to squeeze as much $$ out of their food tickets I guess tongue lol

1. girly_girl09 profile image75
      girly_girl09posted 7 years ago in reply to this

lol

I got an invitation the other day to go to a luncheon on the first day of classes. In fine print at the bottom it says "The $50 fee on your ledger is for this event, please try to attend."

I was like "whattttt?" I didn't see the $50, but I bet it was part of the $250. I guess I'll be going to the welcome-back luncheon after all, if I am forced to pay for it.

6. Wayne Orvisburg profile image77
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 7 years ago

Be sure to try and make it an all you can eat event!

working