jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Houshold expences-how to manage your houshold expences

1. Karina S. profile image60
    Karina S.posted 6 years ago

How do you manage your houshold expences?

1. 0
      Justine76posted 6 years ago in reply to this

very carefully

2. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

With a little common sense tool called a BUDGET smile

3. 0
      Contriceposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Bill Pay has saved my life (lol).  My bank offers an online bill pay program.  I just put in the companies and its there every month.  So when my paycheck comes in, I simply go into my bill pay account, put in the amount I want to pay on each bill and hit submit.  I'm done.  all my bills are paid at the click of a button.  I can even choose the days I pay each bill on (i do same day for convience). And I've begun to pay myself as one on my bills.  That way I'm being sure to put a little something into the savings.

2. Alessia Amnesia profile image61
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 6 years ago

I don't manage my household expenSes. I just kind of wing it and it usually works out just fine.

3. multifunctions profile image61
    multifunctionsposted 6 years ago

i manage by categorizing them in the order of priority.
    a.priority and urgent.
    priority and urgent are those expenses which are necessary , inevitable.
    regular are those expenses which i need for carrying the life style as usual.
    the aspirational means the expenses that i wish for the future.

this is simple and does work if applied on weekly / monthly basis.

Karina S.posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a good idea.

4. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

Due to the economic down turn I dont have as much money as I had, I am not on the street but I do keep things in pretty good order. Big bills are priority. Dont waste electricity, oil or any other item that you can control, turn off lights etc. Shop around for food and other items, dont buy stuff you dont need. When you do all this you can treat yourself at the end of the month, you know new shoes or shirt, whatever.

Karina S.posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I spend a lot less now, too

5. Runway profile image60
    Runwayposted 6 years ago

One thing I do is to always use fatwallet.com or other online sites to find discounts on things for the house.  I also cut coupons or buy in bulk at CostCo. 

But, to manage my overall expenses, I track it using quicken.  Some people I know use Mint.com.

6. Rafini profile image80
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

by sight of whats needed & due dates of bills

7. 0
    Kathryn LJposted 6 years ago

Turn stuff off when your not using it, only buy food your going to eat and make sure you use it all.  Go to bed early, this one saved me a fortune in the last recession, (but use birth control, otherwise its a false economy.)  Get yourself a stacked steamer which will cook all of your meal, using only one burner on your hob.  If you use the oven, use all of it.  All of these tips, apart from the birth control, come from advice leaflets given out to women during WW2.  Some even show you how to repair your knicker by adding new gussets, (Yuk)  More up to date advice is to shop around for your utility suppliers and don't buy on credit unless you have to.  And stop buying for the sake of it, it doesn't make you happy.  Well not much and not for long.  Lastly, sell off all the stuff you've bought and don't use.  then when you do buy, its ok to buy second hand.  Thats what antiques are and the queen has loads of them.

8. Touchdown profile image71
    Touchdownposted 6 years ago

Here are some tips that have worked well for us.

1. Set a montly budget and stick to it.
    2. Write down that budget - on paper
    3. Save 10% of your income every paycheck
    4. Pay with cash
    5. Communicate with your spouse about money