Did you create a budget for 2010?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Karina S. profile image59
    Karina S.posted 14 years ago

Did you create a budget for 2010?

1. profile image0
      loriamooreposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.

We took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace course a few years ago and stick with a budget each month for each category, such as groceries, eating out, insurance, clothes, etc.  It has really helped us track how we spend and keep ourselves in check.

1. KeithTax profile image74
        KeithTaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Loriamoore, I am a tax ELP for Dave Ramsey. Financial Peace is a great program. Stick with the program, it really works.

1. Lily Rose profile image86
          Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a budget which gets modified on occasion, but for the most part we stick to it because we have to.  I love numbercrunching and most anything to do with numbers, so I enjoy working on our personal finances.

I actually recently purchased Dave Ramsey's "The Total Money Makeover" but haven't opened it yet - does anyone know if his Financial Peace program is discussed in it?

BTW, what's a tax ELP?

2. Karina S. profile image59
        Karina S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lori, how much do you save every month?

2. profile image0
      Contriceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did (because I would be in constant debt without one) However, my ultimate new years resolution was to make more money so that I would not need a budget (which is why I'm looking into online businesses)

2. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I have never run a budget on my personal life, ever. smile

why?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not like to live within the structure of anything much.
        I buy whatever I want to eat own the things I want to own and have sufficient to do so. I am not extravagant, careful with water and power, fuel etc., but for environmental reasons not budget constraints. If I want a bigger lifestyle I will need to make or spend more money. I have not worried about money for many many years. It is just a commodity to me.

2. profile image0
      StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you on this... I'm forutnate to make enough money that I don't really have to budget, but I don't go out and spend just because I have it either...not often anyway.

3. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

What a great idea.  Lots of people are doing it real tough, it's good to know people are planning their finances.  If this was done 10 years ago instead of credit card misuse it may not be so hard to make ends meet.

I agree wth you, Jewels

4. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Got sort of a budget in my head, not on paper (or in the computer). 

Budget = 1. Get $.   2.  Spend $.   3.  Don't bounce any checks.

That's it.

5. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

I create a new budget every year based 2 years of actuals for my company and a more relaxed one for personal use

6. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Yes! But then, I always have...my entire life...except for the five years I was with my ex, because everyone in the house has to be willing to work within the budget and to communicate expenditures and such to the book keeper (that'd be me). He never did seem to get that if you don't manage your money it doesn't really matter how much you make, it'll never be enough. For some people, simply buying what they want and no more is enough money management, but for an entire family on a small income it HAS to be monitored. Now our budget is fairly modest, but it keeps us from those occasional overstepping the bounds when we can see what we've spent and where money still needs to be spent. Those few dollars here and there going over, or that one thing you forgot about before you spent your money on something extra, can be pretty disastrous in the long run.

7. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

No. But simply because I have no idea how to create a financial budget. smile

To make money you have two options: Save or Make More!
    With my shopping addiction and with the kind of profession I work in, saving is an impossibility; ergo I choose to Make More smile

1. wychic profile image84
      wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oooh, I must write a hub, I think.... smile The biggest thing to remember is that you're not budgeting for the month, you're averaging out for the year, and there are a ton of little expenses people tend not to think about, but monitoring your spending can help you identify and plan for those.

8. Karina S. profile image59
    Karina S.posted 14 years ago

that why it is so important to have emergency fund

1. Habby profile image59
      Habbyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely agree, karina, about the emergency fund.  It's funny because just when my husband and I get a little bit ahead with our efund, we have an emergency.  We laugh at the irony, but then again perhaps we would crying if we did not have the fund. smile

And yes, we do also have a budget for this year.  It's actually kind of fun to sit down and talk through where we want to apportion the money the LORD has given us.  We negotiate, haggle, compromise, and BOOM!  We have a budget!

9. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Nope.

Back when we were just married, we had to keep a budget because there really wasn't enough money to go around.  We haven't been in that situation for many decades.

That's not to say we waste money or have large amounts of it.  We're frugal.  We own one car and our TV is ancient.  We seldom eat at restaurants, do not travel, and find our pleasures in simple things, and with that, there is no need to budget.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)