jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

historical stock price

1. 60
    grandpazippyposted 6 years ago

How do I find the historical price of a specific stock acquired in 1965?

1. 0
      Poppa Bluesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

All you need is to enter the name in a google search.

2. traderx profile image61
    traderxposted 6 years ago

If you want the price it was purchased at, unless you have a confirmation statement, there is little to no way to actually know.  If you have the actual certificate, you can probably just use the date on the cert as the purchase price, I highly doubt the IRS is gonna hassle you over that since they cannot look it up either, and many many brokerages that were around back then are no longer.

If you have the actual cert also, you will have to contact the transfer agent, as there are super high odds the stock has split multiple times and/or been acquired by another company.  There is almost no way to do this research yourself, and even harder if there have been a bunch of splits.  You would need access to an unsplit adjusted chart showing the price as if the stock NEVER split to figure out the correct purchase price.  Looking on a 40 or 50 year chart will not do it, as some stocks have split so many times the chart will go down into pennies or sub pennies if you go far enough back, because of all the splits.  Remember, splits the shares double, price in half.  The more times this happens, the price in half is halved again, then again.  A purchase at 15 can easily turn into (2 for 1 splits)(((((((15/2)/2)/2)/2)/2)/2)/2) = 11.7c over time, and the same 1000 shares turns into 1000*2*2*2*2*2*2*2=128,000 shares

3. deweyduck profile image80
    deweyduckposted 6 years ago

This is actually more simple than some might think.

Yahoo finance allows you to see the price chart of any publicly traded company. All you have to do is type in the stock symbol, click on the stock's interactive price chart, and click on MAX for the chart's time interval.

Then just mouse over the chart and year and it will give you a specific price, and maybe even month during that year! For example I just looked up General Electric's 1965 stock price and Yahoo Finance tells me it was $1.0365 for January 1965.

The other thing you shouldn't forget is that stock splits have already been included in the price chart!