jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Now your ATM accout can be skimmed by thieves

1. Amandaword profile image73
    Amandawordposted 7 years ago

ATM is no more the portable drawing security for your bank accounts. The recent Wachovia ATM scam has proven that.

2. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

I doubt anything can ever be secure. It's just a matter of time before sophisticated thieves, work out how to hack it.

Amandawordposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are very much right, LadyE. The more the security measures, the more the sofistication criminals come up with to exploit the system. The latest Wachovia bank scam is just a pointer.

3. mquee profile image83
    mqueeposted 7 years ago

It would be something if these criminals would work as hard on legitimate jobs as they do at ripping people off, they would probably make more than just a decent living.

Understandably, Mquee. But then again, no proper motivation would want to steal other people's hard-earned livelihood. You are right, a decent (and conscience-clear) living can only be had from legitimate occupation.

4. Ohma profile image80
    Ohmaposted 7 years ago

I am not sure what happened with Wachovia but I took a loss prevention class and we learned that it is possible to put a removable recorder on the Card Reader (where you put your card in) that looks just like the real reader. as soon as you put your pin in it is recorded with your card number. These things are magnetic an slip over the ATM's reader. They pull off very easily. I never place my card in an ATM unless I check the reader first to make sure it is attached to the machine.

Ohma, I am very encouraged. I am sure there are many people looking for a way to avert any rips from ATM accounts. Yes, Magnatic slips are vulnerable and that is exactly the reason why 'skimmers' would target ATM PIN. I encourage our friends to do what you do: never place the card in an ATM unless the reader is checked first to make sure it is attached to the machine.

5. thisisoli profile image56
    thisisoliposted 7 years ago

ATM card skimming has been around for ages, if you go to modern machines now you they have things such as magnetic distortion and the like!

Yes, and the hard part to digest is that the more sophisticated the technology, the more ingenious ideas skimmers come up with to filch the accounts!

6. profile image61
    bhannaposted 7 years ago

I have heard that in particualar you should not use your debit card for a pin transaction at gas stations, does anyone know anything about this?  Are gas stations particularly susceptible to skimming scams?

7. rebekahELLE profile image89
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

I don't use atm's. if I need cash, I go to a grocery store and buy something I need and get cash back. now you can buy those skimmers online.

working