Have you ever seen this? It's the US Debt Clock. It's real time.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Linda Myshrallposted 13 years ago

This might be in the wrong forum area, but for me, when I see the debt per taxpayer figure, all I can see is more of my money going out the door, hence the personal finance forum... 

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I also find the actual unemployed number scary... as percentage of the total workforce, it's what?  about 18%?

What strikes you about it?  Anything encouraging?  Discouraging?

1. ilmdamaily profile image68
      ilmdamailyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow - Great find!

Truly staggering figures.

Two things struck me primarily:

Firstly, aside from being so spectacularly high, the national debt of 12.9 trillion dollars is approximately 25% made up of debt to foreign nations. That means 1 out of every 4 dollars is owed to a foreign nation!  What are the implications of this for the creditor countries should the dollar go bust? What sort of a security threat does this present to the US? The answer I imagine would be concerning on both counts.

Secondly, the debt figure alone - not even including all of the money that <i>will</i> be printed created through the issuing of further treasury bonds etc - is more than <b>twice the value of all the gold ever mined in the history of the world.</b> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_reserves). Every paper note of US currency (and virtually any other currency in the world for that matter) has no intrinsic value - the value of each note is derived from the notion that it is backed by an equivalent reserve of gold. If that reserve is not sufficient to cover the value of all available notes - then the only real value of those notes is as writing/toilet paper. 

The only thing sustaining any semblance of value in the US dollar - indeed in nearly all modern financial systems - is public perception. The second that goes, the only real assets anyone will have will be their health and their family.

We've borrowed from the future, and now tomorrow wants it's money back.

Such a level of spending is the definition of unsustainable. It is impossible to overstate the dire situation that the US - indeed the entire world - is in.

It would be a fantastic time to learn how to live self sufficiently!

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The US went off the gold standard in the 1930s.  AFAIK there aren't any other countries that use the gold standard either.

And their friends/neighbours, plus any skills or home-grown vegetables they can barter.  "Wealth" won't mean bricks and mortar any more (a house is only worth what people can or will pay for it), nor will it mean annual income if said income is rendered worthless by rampant inflation like Zimbabwe's or the Weimar Republic.  Scary isn't it?

2. leeberttea profile image58
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have that in my fovorites!

2. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

What I find problematic is that conservatives only pay attention to the national debt when a Democrat is in the White House.

1. leeberttea profile image58

It's a shame that people politicize such issues. We as common sense individuals know that debt has to be repaid and we know if we can't repay it there will be consequences. But what happens when a country can't pay it's debts? We are seeing the results of the broken promises by government in Greece and even though most don't think that could happen in the USA, we simply should not eliminate social unrest as a possibility. Regardless of political persuasion, don't you think the issue needs to be addressed? Or, would you rather wait until the republicans control the government?

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's fairly clear from recent history that Republicans, despite all their blather about fiscal responsibility, have absolutely no intention to reduce the debt when they're in power. Democrats do - look at Clinton's record - although it's constructive to know that talking about debt reduction is badly timed when you're in the middle of a recession, and very well timed when you're in an economic boom.

To be fair, Clinton was forced into fiscal responsibility by a republican congress, but your point is taken. Neither party has had the courage to do what is responsible and necessary to get the nation's fiscal house in order.

Well, not really. The Republicans were pushing for tax cuts; debt reduction as a way to stimulate the stock market and economy came from Clinton's cabinet (Bill Rubin).

I also disagree that neither party can get the fiscal house in order. The Democrats have proven is recent history they can. But, again, during a recession is not the time to talk about paying down debt; that's best a discussion during an economic expansion.

But Clinton did cut taxes! What Congress did was prevent him from spending.

Clinton cut taxes at the Republicans' behest. Spending cuts were mostly a priority of the Clinton administration. Paying down debt has not been a GOP priority for a long time (they're paying lip service to it now only to cause problems for Obama); they've only traditionally cared about taxes.

That's true to a degree and that's why they aren't in power now. Getting the tax burden right is a big part of maximizing revenues and this has been shown to be true time and time again. What government must do is restrain their spending. I think the republicans got the message, unfortunately the democrats seem to have misinterpreted it.

What have the GOP *concretely* suggested in terms of restraining spending? All I tend to hear from them is "cutting back waste" and "eliminating unnecessary entitlements", which means absolutely nothing. I'd love to hear a real-world proposal from them to suggest they actually get it.

2. Buck Steiner profile image57
              Buck Steinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Democrats did no such thing, Clinton was kept in check by a Republican Congress and Senate. However, the Republicans with George W Bush at the helm couldn't find a spending bill they didn't like.

I read an article that looked at the fiscal responsibility of different government setups, and I remember that a Republican president & Congress was the worst, and a Democratic president & Republican Congress was best.

2. Buck Steiner profile image57
      Buck Steinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's because it always seems to get higher in a shorter period of time.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

What I find problematic is that NO politician wants to seriously address monetary policy nor do they want to run an effective/efficient government.

It's pathetic!

4. profile image0
    Linda Myshrallposted 13 years ago

Obviously there are people here who are far more sophisticated with this stuff than I am, so my comments are largely of a questioning/learning nature; not adversarial. 

One thing I do find encouraging is that the consumer debt figures appear to be shrinking.  It's probably bad for the economy overall because consumer spending is such a large part of how improvement is measured?

Do you think people are scared and afraid to spend, or do you think they just don't have money right now?

I think it's both. There are 8 million less workers getting a paycheck so they just don't have the money to spend. Then there are the rest of us, still working, paying down our debt and waiting for the next crisis to take the economy down another peg. We see what's happening in Europe and we're afraid it will come here. We're watching energy prices and the oil spill and waiting to see the devastation of the sea food industry and what will happen to food prices. There's a lot of fear even though there has also been a lot of improvement in the economy. However we're all aware of the risks and we want to prepare for the worst while we continue to hope for the best and that means putting off purchases as long as possible.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Linda, it is the personal credit market that has dried up. More and more people are using just cash to pay for things and if they cannot, then they are going without.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)