jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Basic Hub about How The Stock Market Works?

1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

Just wondering if there's any hubs out there that just explain, step by step the basics of the stock market?

All the ones I've seen seem to deal with just one part in detail or losses on the stock market.

1. 60
      investor101posted 5 years ago in reply to this

check out my hub! I'm just like you trying to learn the ropes of the stock market, maybe my blog can help!

2. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 6 years ago

If do not find anything here on HP then why give a shot over Google? I believe that will give a huge number of options!!

WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I was hoping some hubber with stockmarket knowledge may be encouraged to write a hub about it, smile

1. packerpack profile image60
        packerpackposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well if your main intention to was to get a Hub written on the subject then I guess it would have been best to ask a question instead of starting a new thread here!! smile

2. atticus007 profile image60
        atticus007posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wow that would be a big old hub. There are so many ways to go about things. What you think about the stock market will be based on understanding yourself and what your attitude to risk is.

The stock market at it most simple and lease risky is investing in Index Trackers on a regular basis. Following that things get more complicated, take increasing amounts of effort to research and understand, then ultimately get more risky.  Simple is good.

A word of caution the Stock Market is not a place to venture without knowledge. Great fortunes are made by the prudent and wise and lost by fools and gamblers.

1. 0
          ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Indeed, I generally stick with investing in major 'funds', rather than individual stocks.

I feel much better knowing that my money is spread over 100+ individual investments, by people who are likely to know what they are doing and are paid primarily on performance.

Thats a tricky thing that isn't it? "paid primarily on performance", the cause of our downfall... but would we really want a salaried individual looking after our cash? With no motivation to grow it?

Anyway, I made a fair bit of money 'gambling' on AIM shares. Some great returns to be made, but I saw enough crazy stuff to pull the cash out and go much lower risk. I may speculate in small amounts again soon, but I sell at double and stick the profit in low risk. That seems to be a strategy that works to a certain degree for me.

3. ilmdamaily profile image92
    ilmdamailyposted 6 years ago

That's a totally awesome hub idea WryLilt! I'll take a crack at it if no-one has made one yet...

WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Awesome! I think just a good "overview" one would be great, just covering things such as blue chip shares, forex, trading money, all that confusing stuff! Can't wait to see it. smile

4. Ben Evans profile image73
    Ben Evansposted 6 years ago

There should be some basic investing hubs.  I wish I had time to write hubs on it.  I used to write about the hundreds of issues I follow as well as strategies.  I guess I could change around some old blogs I wrote and rewrite them.  I have hundreds of posts.

I will see if I can scrape the time together and I will give strategies, how to find brokers, how to research, basic terms, option strategies.  Like Ryan's funds I can explain ETF's and other larger sector based groups of stock.

I wont promise but I will try.  It takes an awful lot of time.

5. TheBrandon profile image60
    TheBrandonposted 6 years ago

I just saw a link to this forum post while working on a series of hubs about this very same topic. I'm just getting started on my project here, but this is something I wanted to do because there are so many places on the internet that attempt to package this kind of information and sell it as a "system." It's not actually all that complicated, and anyone willing to learn can do so without the aid of expensive brokers or financial advisors. In my own ventures into the market, I am more of a trader than an investor, although I am holding a few dividend stocks. Eventually, my hubs will lean more in the direction of swing trading, but until that fork in the road, it's all common information. I'm looking forward to teaching curious people what I know and learning from others.