jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Do you coupon...on anything?

1. 0
    Contriceposted 6 years ago

If you're looking for ways to save more money raise your hand?  I am and I know others are too.  Well this is what I've been doing...couponing.  I know it's not new to everyone but it's new to me and I'm loving it. 

Here is a look at a few of my grocery bills (the about figures)

Before Coupons $109 After Coupons $59!!!!!

Before Coupons $67 After Coupons $26!!!!!

Before Coupons $83 After Coupons $57!!!!

I even signed up for a coupon service online and got half off a massage...and free doughnuts!!!

Wow! I don't know why I didn't start sooner.  Do you coupon?  What the most you have ever saved (that you can remember)?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I used to years ago, but gradually began to realize that the most heavily advertised and couponed items are the ones  that are most processed, unnatural and full of additives.
    They seem to be spending more on ads and promotion and skimping on quality ingredients.
    Occasionally there are some I use, but most are not worth it to me.

1. 0
      Contriceposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah...you're right.  Like frozen pizza and stuff, but in moderation right smile

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Pizza isn't really junk food.   With veggie toppings, it can be very healthy.  Just check the ingredients carefully for excess sugar.

It's not hard  to make your own pizza at home where you can control the ingredients, be healthy and control costs.

2. Ivorwen profile image83
      Ivorwenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is the same problem I have found.  No one wants to provide coupons for fresh fruit and vegtables.  Even those for whole grains are few and far between.   Those for the dairy department seem never to be available for the items that are on sale, and usually the sale price beats the coupon discount.

Peanut butter, jelly and baking goods are the only things I tend to use coupons for.

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree.

However - stores do run specials.  You have to be careful, because gas costs money too, but sometimes it can be worth hitting three stores instead of one to take advantage of the specials.

As a senior, we also look for stores like Hannafords that offer a 5% discount to seniors on Tuesday.  You have to watch their prices - they are ridiculous on milk, for example, but 5% on other things can help.

Sometimes we find good prices at unexpected places.  We go to Trader Joes for things we can't find elsewhere and always pick up milk because their milk prices are great!  Not good enough for a special trip, but since we are there anyway, why not?

But coupons?  Mostly junk food smart people never buy anyway.  Not ALWAYS, but mostly.

2. 0

@Ivorwen: Sometimes you can combine the sale price the the coupon for an even bigger discount.  I do that often.

3. wmspringer profile image61
    wmspringerposted 6 years ago

I mostly use coupons online; when I'm ordering from a website (other than Amazon, where I do most of my shopping), I google for coupon codes to cut down on the price.

1. 0

Me too!

4. 60
    TeaLoverposted 6 years ago

I LoVe coupons!! I will tell you a secret, people who don't save with coupons are shopping incorrectly. It's not their fault, I had to learn how to shop differently. Coupon for items to offset costs for what you really want to serve yourself and family.

I routinely save $80 and more each week with coupons. That's a savings of at least $240. I make a lot more when I take time (cut out one tv show) to search each week for items that are free or almost free with a coupon. This grows the amount of pantry/ freezer items you have, which frees up other areas in the budget.

Use the savings to buy organic meat, natural hormone free meat, produce, or better quality foods for the family.

@Pcunix  one well planned grocery store trip can pay you $50 or more for that week in immediate savings to offset gas costs. After your cabinet pantry increases a bit, you will have to make less trips to the store. Coupon mom is a great free way to find out about all of the sales each week.

@Contrice you will save more the longer you coupon. It is easier to spot true deals to combine the coupons with.

Everyone is welcomed to msg me anytime about coupons, and current deals. I love coupons they totally rock.

1. 0

Tell me more!!!

5. Flightkeeper profile image80
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

I love coupons, but I like the ones that are non-food related, like for cleaning products, haircare, body care, hygiene etc.  I normally wait until there's a sale and then I use my coupon. You do save money.

1. 0

Oh yeah!!!  I just had the best coupon.  4 dollars off a 6 dollar bottle of body wash and get one free.  I paid a dollar per bottle! big_smile