jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Kid needs braces.....

1. Stimp profile image81
    Stimpposted 6 years ago

My fiance's kid(s) need....like REALLY need braces.  Their teeth are a mess.  At any rate, his 'X' works part time as a clerk at Target.  He is work in his start up businesss for roofing and siding construction.  As you all who have children know.....for some reason they are slapping braces on children as young as 8 years old.

At any rate, obviously neither of these two can afford the braces and I sure and sht ain't payin for them. Soooo...has anyone heard of a program (other than within the social services network ..... which has denied their claim because braces are considered cosmetic) that will subsidize stuff like this.  It's really not like these kids just have a few teeth out of line, their mouths are REALLY messed up.

those of you who want to sit and say stuff like "oh why don't they go get better jobs, we shouldn't have to take care of their kids blah blah blah....:"   can BAG IT.  I'm not interested in listening to your righteousness since you apparently are one of the lucky ones to have landed a supen phenominal job in this economy.

I am asking for any GOOD advise that might direct me to the right place.  Thanks a ton for those who respond.

1. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

a lot of orthodontists offer payment plans, breaking the entire bill into manageable parts and setting a monthly payment that is doable. i have never heard of any social services program offering braces, unfortnately. if it were me, i would start calling orthodontists in my area and ask to speak to their admin or office manager, they might at least be able to diect you to someplace where you could get assistance. my son had braces when he was 12, and that was waiting too long, so it was a longer, more difficult process. good luck.

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

I think they should pose that question to a dentist or orthodontist. If anyone knows what programs are available, s/he will.

1. Stimp profile image81
      Stimpposted 6 years ago in reply to this

They are on "badger care" which is state subsidized insurance for children in homes where the parents don't have insurance.  We've called everywhere and no one (no orthodontists.....up to 500 miles away) will take them because basically they make no money and would be overwhelmed by the amount of Badger Care patients that would be there. The parents were told that if they went to a dr. and the dr. gave a referral that it was medically necessary (which it is), the orthodontist HAD to take here.  Well that's not true.

3. kmackey32 profile image82
    kmackey32posted 6 years ago

I just felt the need to say I love that saying, "BAG IT", ha, I'm going to start saying that....lmao

4. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

If there is a school of dentistry in your area, ask if they would be able to put in low cost braces.  The whole thing would probably be done by dental students but they would be under the guidance of an orthodontist.