jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

hydro bill headache...

1. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 6 years ago

Does anybody else struggle to keep up with hydro payments?  I just got my bill in the mail today and almost fell off my chair.  I just can't keep up and its not like I waste electricity unneccessarily.  I can't believe the cost of hydro.  Is anyone else in the same boat?

2. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

If by that you mean your water utility bill, yes.  Mine has tripled over the last seven years despite us letting our back lawn go, moving out a teenager (notorious long shower takers), and taking purposeful strides to reduce water use, including buying a water-saver washing machine. It used to be $118 per month and now its $320-ish.  Our incomes have been cut in half, and that stuff triples.

Our water comes from the County water utility, it is a monopoly, a bureaucracy and it is all union employees. We are stuck with no options and are forced to buy from a business run "by committee" and political agenda, and that pays wages far, far, far higher than anyone of similar skills in the private sector make and provides benefits that outstrip private sector too.  I don't really begrudge those guys their money, but when added to the absurd rates and zero options, and how politicized water is in the state, and the dumbass devotion to buying expensive water meters (that are only going to increase rates even more) and that haven't even been proven reliable... UGH. 

Stupid stupid stupid stupid.

1. 0
      Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

On the contrary, everything goes as planned: you'll get your utility bills and stock holders will get their dividents. Everything as planned...

2. Misha profile image75
      Mishaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well is your friend, John. And your own water does not have any nasty chemicals, too. smile

3. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 6 years ago

no, I didn't mean my water utility bill.  Our land taxes cover our water bills.  I meant my lights, heat, etc.  Its incredible how expensive it is.  It almost seems like highway robbery.  Well, at least they are not allowed to disconnect me if I am unable to pay.  Benefits of living in a cold climate smile

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...electricity is expensive...my heating bill (oil) (i have a new boiler system) goes through the roof however...and my water bill is now increasing...5 years ago, I never really thought much about my water bill because it was so small....now though it has become part of my regular monthly expenses to consider.

5. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

Where I live, we currently have low prices, but they will be going up in the next several years.  Still, it gets expensive. 

I have found that taking little cost saving measures can drastically lower the bill.  Floor length curtains and keeping the heaters down to 67*F save me over a third.