jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Tesla Motors

1. investor27 profile image61
    investor27posted 5 years ago

Wondering what anyone elses thoughts on the car manufacuturer are.

Yes I am a small time investor mostly when the stock price was 20$ so I don't have that much to loose but right now the stock is at 32.05 with the company loosing alot last quarter but sales yet to be determained for this quarter any thoughts?

They have some major investors backing them up 2
    Toyota 50 million$
    Panasonic 30 Million$
    Mercades 10% stake when they purchased in 2008

2. Arthur Fontes profile image91
    Arthur Fontesposted 5 years ago

I have been following Tesla since they received a patent for their curved solar panels.  The roof of the car is a solar panel.

They need to diversify into more vehicle models, I would be optimistic about the future of Tesla motors.

3. Ben Evans profile image75
    Ben Evansposted 5 years ago

TSLA kind of tickles the imagination. It seems like a stock that a lot of people would like because it is a cool company.

However, with a market cap of 3 billion and forward projected revenue of under $150 million.  It's market cap is 20 times its revenue.  It forward eps is -$2.00 for 2011.

I think it is a real cool stock.  The question is how many years will take for a person to double their money with the stock.  I have not studied the financials of car companies but I do know that margins will be small.

To get up to other automobiles PE's, TSLA will have to increase its sales 20 fold I would suspect.

I would wait on this one.  This could be the dud of the century.  I would wait for at least better potential bookings.  Right now with its current sales, it will not be a good investment.

Those are the fundamentals.

Right now I would stick with value like COP, FCX (If you think it is high now, just wait as long as copper is high they will make bank.)

Other good miners are GG, SCCO, SLW........These are a bit risky except for SCCO.

Look for value in companies like BA or CAT if you believe there will be a recovery.

A couple of good ETF's are OIH and XLE.

I would research these aforementioned stocks.  As far TSLA, they are many years off.  I don't think this is a good entry point.

Please note that these are for entertainment purposes only and you ultimately bare responsibility for your own investments.

4. Arthur Fontes profile image91
    Arthur Fontesposted 5 years ago

Look at what this stock is doing recently.

5. manlypoetryman profile image72
    manlypoetrymanposted 5 years ago

Wonder if a Tesla Dome can be added as an option...?

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/ar … read=50460

If so...I want one!

6. I am DB Cooper profile image67
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

As an investment, the company's fortunes are entirely dependent on what deals they can make with other huge companies. On their own, it's a pretty terrible long-term investment, because there just isn't a big enough market for their cars to justify their spending. All of that changes if they can get a big car company to invest a giant stake in them and ramp up production, which should drive down marginal costs and allow them to lower the price to reach a broader market.

This is not the type of car company that could have started without a lot of money (apparently the guy who started Paypal and sold it to eBay had a lot of pocket change), and it's the type of company that probably won't see profits for a long time without some outside help with production.

7. Hugh Williamson profile image88
    Hugh Williamsonposted 5 years ago

Darn! Shoulda bought in a few hours ago.

31 Mar 2011:
    "Electric Car Stock Trading Alert; Tesla Motors, Inc. (NasdaqGS: TSLA) up 16% in Morning Trading. Tesla Motors, Inc.(NasdaqGS: TSLA) began an uptrend Thursday following Morgan Stanley upgrading it overweight from equal weight."

http://www.investorideas.com/CO/EVCA/ne … /03311.asp