jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Tips for applying to About.com

1. travelespresso profile image82
    travelespressoposted 6 years ago

Does anyone have experience with About.com?    I'm interested in applying to be a guide writer and they have a topic which appeals to me. 
    I also have some of the experience required but not with HTML (which they ask for).

In your experience is it a good site?  Do you have tips for the application process?  How long did it take you to get accepted?

Thanks so much.

1. thisisoli profile image59
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My aunt inlaw works for about as a music writer, but I could not really advise you too much as I have applied 3 times and been rejected on every occasion!

The problem is that competition for every position is extremely fierce!

travelespressoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wondered about that thisisoli.  They have a lot of categories available but they seem to only look at a few each week and from that select writers.  It seems to me that the selection process could take a very long time.

In your experience, did they take a long time to get back to you?

It took about 3 months each time for a response, I heard the average response rate for each job is around 30,000 applications, but I am not 100% sure of how accurate that is, it sounds fairly reasonable though considering how well known they are, and the benefits package they give.

travelespressoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

WOW - that sounds like huge odds and a long time for a response.  Thanks for your replies Oli.

I wonder if anyone here has managed to secure a job?

I think I remember somebody saying they got a job there once, was a while back though!

2. kcreery profile image61
    kcreeryposted 6 years ago

I just got denied for a job there.  It seems like it took forever for the rejection letter. At least 3-6 months.  I forgot i even applied for the job.  That's how long it too.

working