I have come across many families who have not given educating their children on money issues a thought. Children should be made aware that money is not something that one can always get by inserting a card on an ATM. So I have come with a few ideas on how to get this going, o at least to provoke you to think about it.
1. Children should learn from a tender age that money should not be taken for granted. Money doesn't grow from trees. Talk to your kids about money, where it comes from, how we need to spend it.
2. Most common, introduce the idea of a piggy bank in the house, this not only helps with the kids making savings for their future, but it helps in tidying up the house as well as preventing some accidents at home, for example, a child doesn't put the coin in the mouth but puts it in a piggy bank as that's where it should go.
3. Educate the kids, the idea of a budget, or a plan. I know even the most disciplined of us can fall into the temptation of impulse buying but in this case I mean, children shouldn't always get what they cry for, just because they like it but its important to know, that that particular item was not planned for.
4. Teach your child that they can buy themselves a treat , or a magazine they really wanted, from their piggy bank savings. This way , children learn that , you have to work hard for what you get, including themselves.
5. Reward a child who learns to take care of money.
These are just but a few examples of how to get your child to think about money and hopefully in the future they will be better managers about money that we are.
By far children learn the most from mimicking their parents. Lessons are certainly necessary but expecting a child to do as we say and not as we do will usually lead to unfulfilled expectations. Teach your children by example. Be responsible and from an early age remember that these eyes and ears will one day have you to thank for their habits, good ... or bad.
I think "money and children" is a very essential issue of life.I'm young and have no kids,but in my field of study i'm planning to manage money and capitalize through various security investments.My plan is to teach the kids what i already know and learned from mistakes,the rest is up to them.What parents need to do is install the rules and give them great advice and education they will never forget.
by Grace Marguerite Williams12 months ago
adult children to grow. They are the type of parents who subconsciously sabotage their children's career chances and advancements. They seem to be deathly afraid to allow their children to establish...
by Roberta McIlroy4 years ago
My son-in-law left my daughter for a girl half his age. He has moved in with his gf but continually sneaks into my daughters house when she is at work or asleep and takes photos of everyone and the...
by L a d y f a c e6 years ago
There is so much danger surrounding children and water... Obviously I wouldn't leave a 1-2 year-old alone in the bath tub, but I wouldn't accompany a 9 year-old to bath time either. What are some signs that your child...
by mdawson177 years ago
I have witnessed and heard stories of State protective agencies allowing parents to come back in the home where a child resides after receiving therapy!Is this a good idea? Can a parent get enough therapy to stop any...
by NGRIA Bassett6 years ago
We demonstrate and teach our kids to maintain physical health, how well do we model the importance of boundaries, balance etc.
by Mom Kat2 years ago
Does it bother anyone else when people who have no children give advice on what you should or shouldn't be doing ~ or on how to raise children "the right way"?I don't care how many books you've read, classes...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.