jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

The 25-year 'foreclosure from hell'

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Patsy Campbell could tell you a thing or two about fighting foreclosure. She's been fighting hers for 25 years.

The 71-year-old retired insurance saleswoman has been living in her house, a two-story on a half-acre in a tidy middle-class neighborhood here in central Florida, since 1978. The last time she made a mortgage payment was October 1985.

And yet Campbell has been able to keep her house, protected by a 105-pound pit bull named Dodger and a locked, rusty gate advising visitors to beware of the dog.

"They're not going to take this house," says Campbell. "I intend to stay in this house and maintain it as my residence until I die."

Campbell's foreclosure case has outlasted two marriages, three recessions and four presidents. She has seen seven great-grandchildren born, plum real-estate markets come and go and the ownership of her mortgage change six times. Many Florida real-estate lawyers say it is the longest-lasting foreclosure case they have ever heard of.
    read the rest...
    http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx? … ;GT1=35010

i would not want to deal with this stress for that amount of time!yikes

1. nell79 profile image86
      nell79posted 5 years ago in reply to this

WOW! Who knew a dog could be so effective! LOL

2. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Who needs a gun when you've got Dodger!? lol
    Seriously, 25 years staving off the system is a looonnnngggg time.
    The real trick is NEVER ANSWER THE PHONE!!!

3. temoring profile image59
    temoringposted 5 years ago

Has she been putting her mortgage payments into anequity account?  When/if they ask for payment at some point, she may need it to stay and not literally get dragged out of her home. Good for her, chalk one up for the 'lil' guy. I went through a possible foreclosure for almost two years, and ended up keeping my home, but only through remodification, not a great deal, but we still have our home...for atleast a while longer.

1. 0
      Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I sold mine before plunging into that awkward position. I think it is too stressful and not worth it. Sell it, buy another much smaller and live happily. To live every day under stress of being evicted? I think it's stupid. I miss my house too, but life goes on. At 71 you need more relaxing life style than that.

1. temoring profile image59
        temoringposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree Home Girl (love the name by the way...) We decided to keep our home after much debate and many sleepless nights and LOTS of research and looking at other homes to rent/buy etc. This was the best decission for us. One needs to always look at the big picture.

4. ForeclosureDJens profile image60
    ForeclosureDJensposted 5 years ago

Hmmm... Interesting story. I'd like to see specifically how she has managed to hold onto the house for this long, especially in Florida nowadays. They are wolves down there and the only break a person will get is the fact that they are swamped with foreclosures and foreclosure fraud.

Good thing the courts are finally convicting foreclosure fraud crooks!
    I'm glad some people have been able to save their homes and not fall victim to foreclosure.

Thanks for the post!