jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

What type of options strategies do you want me to write about?

1. dpsimswm profile image61
    dpsimswmposted 5 years ago

Post a stock and options strategy and I will write about it.

Example: What's a bullish strategy for Apple?

1. MasarLamaki profile image60
      MasarLamakiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

How about how to sell call options regularly and make a profit?

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 5 years ago

How to lose 30 million bucks in one day big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image82
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol lol

2. dpsimswm profile image61
      dpsimswmposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Give me 30 million and then I'll tell you.

1. Misha profile image75
        Mishaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I know the recipe myself - buy out of the money options on expiration Friday big_smile

3. cheapskatemate profile image59
    cheapskatemateposted 5 years ago

How can I form a delta neutral structure, that collects theta but is not too exposed to vega.

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Now that’s a darn good question! When I tried it with gamma, it didn’t work.

2. Ben Evans profile image75
      Ben Evansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A long butterfly is probably one of the best delta nuetral strategies.  These gain value as the option pairs reach expiration........Thus that is collecting theta provided of course that it stays within a range.

Anyone would be hard pressed to find an option that is not exposed to vega.  Unlike a stocks delta and theta, vega is harder to predict and is more dependent on market behavior and expections from market participants.

If a person wants an option strategy that is least dependent on vega, they need to play options which are deep in the money and have a long time to expiration.  While these options still have vega, as a percentage to the actual value they don't have a lot.   Now as we know this type of play would not be delta nuetral and certainly would not profit on decay.

I don't write a lot about options myself but I had to respond even though I beleive that your comment was in jest.  Just because a lot of people think there is some sort of magical way for people to observe vega.  It is mostly dependent on the markets behavior.  Vega changes with a change in IV.  IV will always be hard to predict and will also be one of the major factors that people overlook when trading options.  While to some degree there will be option strategies that are less dependent on vega, all will have some dependence on vega.

...........Just watch IV crush after an expected announcement.

4. ocbill profile image74
    ocbillposted 5 years ago

safe covered calls for 5% monthly and straddles on those high flyer stocks.