jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

650,000 Americans Joined Credit Unions Last Month -

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

650,000 Americans Joined Credit Unions Last Month -- More Than In All Of 2010 Combined
    One of the tactics the 99 Percenters are using to take back the country from the 1 percent is to move their money from big banks to credit unions, community banks, and other smaller financial unions that aren’t gambling with our nation’s future.

Now, the Credit Union National Association (CUNA) reports that a whopping 650,000 Americans have joined credit unions since Sept. 29 — the date that Bank of America announced it would start charging a $5 monthly debit fee, a moveit backed down on this week.

i've belonged to credit unions in the past and will look to join one soon.They are a great alternative to the corporate banking giants

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am moving mine locally so I am right there with you. smile

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 4 years ago in reply to this

For me, this type of people power is far more effective than any Occupy Wall street campaign - money talks! You'll see all banks backing off these extra fees soon - in fact Capital One are trying to take advantage by offering '5x'the interest rate, free checking and no ATM fees on any banks ATMs

It's stimuating competition and is exactly what the consumer needs!

The only thing I suggest that people do when looking into local banks is make sure they are FDIC insured - if they are not and they go under, you lose your money!

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
    LuisEGonzalezposted 4 years ago

Good idea , I will join one on Friday, thanks for sharing

3. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

"650,000 Americans Joined Credit Unions Last Month"

This truly does warm the cockles of my heart.

On an unhappier note...

Before all the media frenzy had started concerning all the bank fees, I had written a hub about joining credit unions. Google has completely ignored it during this entire media episode. Tough town, the internet.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Some will join credit unions after today, this is just the beginning. I am going to find that hub after I've been shopping and give it the full treatment. big_smile

4. Hound Cat profile image61
    Hound Catposted 4 years ago

I have been in a credit union for several years now.  I have been very pleased with the services and the customer friendly atmosphere.  I also save at one of my larger local banks.  I am happy with them too.  The credit union is a notch better though.

5. Moderndayslave profile image61
    Moderndayslaveposted 4 years ago

Saturday Nov,5 2011,,,Bank Transfer day. Stop feeding the parasites.Transfer your accounts from a Too Big Too Fail bank to a credit union or small local bank.

6. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

I'm in the UK but moved my money last month.