jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

I tried asking this in a hub

1. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 9 years ago

each month i get a cheque from adsense in the post, is there somewhere other than a bank that I could invest the money to help give my kids a little push start when they reach the age where they are thinking of making their own way in the world.......jimmy

2. 0
    Lisa Bargerposted 9 years ago

You're in the UK, right?  hmm. . . if you were in the U.S., I'd suggest a 529 plan.

3. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

Mutual funds can be good for this.  If you're new to them, research a total stock market fund with no-loads and a low expense ratio.  I personally use the Vanguard funds.  The returns over the longhaul are much better than a savings account.

4. grantsforwomen profile image60
    grantsforwomenposted 8 years ago

Have you tried an ING direct account? I think you can get those in the UK, right?

5. 60
    zladyohposted 8 years ago

I like the 529 plan too.  It's really a good deal and anyone can add to it.  Grandparents...get the hint?

6. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

We use Vanguard too, and we're in Australia. We've been very happy with them. They have the lowest fees, or at least they did last time I looked. Fees can really eat into your returns, and the "management" you pay for with higher fees often does worse than the general market index anyway.

Look for mutual funds (managed fund, unit trust) which simply aim to match a market index like the FTSE or Dow Jones, and then pick the one with the lowest fees.

A bonus is that they will give you an update on the performance of your investment every night on the TV financial news!