jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

You can't ignore Amazon

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago

If you want to get e-published, their intensely analytical platform knows what sells.  You can't game them but if your writing is legit, they can connect you to your customer.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I pretty much ignore Amazon. Although many of my publishers do upload there, they represent only a minority of my sales and even smaller proportion of my net profit. There is no one rule for publishing; it depends on your product.

couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Do you e-publish?  I'm interested in learning.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure about the way they rank content, but beside that, I think they take the number of reviews into consideration.  For the indie who hasn't had a blockbuster or even a best seller, Amazon creates a relationship with the customer, something the Big 5 does not do.  They are more concerned with relationships with retailers.

So what's the best way to get Amazon to place a book high in the rankings?

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I epublish mainly through third party epublishing companies, not on my own.  As far as I can tell Amazon ranks are based on sales volume with a time factor.  For example a rank of 50,000 or lower means sales of one copy a week or better for a print book. For an ebook the correlations are a bit harder to work out but probably have a similar basis.

So what, or who, is considered a third party publisher?  I've never heard this term.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I mean a publisher where you submit the work, their editors select the work and they do all the rest. A normal publisher, but one that primarily produces ebooks.

Ok, right.  Thanks for your help!

working