jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

When is enough when you work? How much do you need to survive a day?

1. paoloumali profile image60
    paoloumaliposted 5 years ago

FYI, cost of living in my country is relatively low(but with less privilege). I wonder how much others need to earn to survive considering you don't need to save or you're not preparing for anything(insurance)

1. Don Simkovich profile image61
      Don Simkovichposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Welcome to Hubpages.

2. Don Simkovich profile image61
    Don Simkovichposted 5 years ago

In the United States, there are stories of families living on $3,000 to $5,000 a month and enjoying themselves. They buy used clothing, used cars, take inexpensive vacations and watch carefully the food they buy. I lived on $ 350 a month when I was in my 20s -- I did it for 3 years and came out with no debt.
    Many families, though, need about $ 6,000 to $ 10,000 monthly for the typical standard of living.

3. paoloumali profile image60

Thanks.

$10,000 would be annual salary here smile

4. Bard of Ely profile image86
    Bard of Elyposted 5 years ago

Well, I live day to day and month to month and it's a struggle but I can just about get by on around 600€ a month but when I was getting 900 in 2009 I was feeling rich! I am in the very low income bracket here and find it very frustrating because I cannot do a lot. You need money to go out if only for bus fares.

I was increasing my earnings here before the Panda problem last year but like so many people I experienced a big drop.

5. Cassie Smith profile image67
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

It's a good question and the answer really depends on where you live within the US.

6. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Rent coupled with no income is the killer that drives most people homeless (I realize that is an incredibly stupid/obvious statement, but I'm saying it anyway). If, and only if, you are extremely lucky; you can survive in the US with food and shelter, etc for $1K/month.

7. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

Well, I need per month in £ sterling (UK currency):

£90 for mortgage
    £90 for council tax
    £120 for gas/electricity
    £30 for phone line/broadband
    £10 for mobile phone
    £240 for car loan
    £60 for car insurance
    £80 for house insurance
    £50 for cat food (4 cats)

So that is £770 before I even think about food for myself, clothing, petrol.

So let's say £1000 to cover the basics with food and petrol and ignoring clothing (i'm wearing stuff I bought 30 years ago and hardly ever shop for clothes), which xe.com tells me is $1,548.61 per month or £18,583.32 per year.

8. paoloumali profile image60

Guys, keep it coming and thank you for sharing.

I want to know how it is in other cities. I seriously think that I can travel the world within or the next year and be financially stable at the same time.

@paradigmsearch
    I have to agree that mortgage gets a huge chunk of an American's budget because I've worked as GMAC loan counselor for around a year in my previous call center work.

@cassie
    Tax differs in different states too, right? I think California has the highest rate.

@bard
    Struggling is an exercise that can be healthy but can be stressful if net income is really hard to achieve. I'm not entirely sure if you have a 9-5 job or if you are a freelancer like I am, but if you think your income is stable enough, wouldn't living in a different country with less cost of living worth considering? I know someone who went to Indonesia and now has successful kamado business supplying customers in the US and Australia harnessing the Internet.

@WriteAngled

I wish I can experience the UK life. smile

working