jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What's a good secured credit card to rebuild credit?

1. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 4 years ago

I am going to get a secured credit card to help rebuild my credit. Does anyone have any advice on a good one? I see the offers on the Internet but would like to hear advice from someone who has used one and it worked out well. I need to get my credit score up a bit more before I can re-fi at a decent rate so I want to get my credit score to go up as fast as possible. Any advice appreciated!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I had one through Capital One. I paid $300 which i got back when i cancelled the card. Someone got my card number and supposedly you can't get them to disallow automatic payments no matter how many times they have to remove the charges. I just gave up and cancelled the card.

2. savanahl profile image79
    savanahlposted 4 years ago

My husband and I went through our bank (Wells Fargo). Our banker told us that they review your account every 3 to 6 months. She also told us never to spend more than 1/3 to 1/2 of your limit. If you keep your account in good standing and pay it off fast they will first double your limit, i.e. if you opened a secured account with $300 they'll double your limit to $600. If you continue in good standing, within a year, they'll refund your security deposit and give you an non-secured card. Hope that helps.

1. Robie Benve profile image94
      Robie Benveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I got a VISA card through my bank, I used it for groceries and such, and paid the balance off completely every month. It helped a lot.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image69
    Ralph Deedsposted 4 years ago

USAA offers the best regular MasterCard, in my opinion, especially if you want to avoid dealing with the NY banksters. I'm not sure whether they offer a secured card.

4. 60
    Bankruptcy Shopposted 4 years ago

Have you tried applying for Orchard Bank credit cards? Credit one credit card? They specialize in approving people with damaged credit.

5. Reality Bytes profile image94
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

To rebuild credit it is easier to get a savings account, and get an equity loan against the balance in the account.  It allows for the satisfaction of the debt in a small amount of time.  Thus allowing the individual to qualify for unsecured credit cards.