Am I the only one who can't stand Suze Orman?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Edwin Clark profile image62
    Edwin Clarkposted 15 years ago

Suze Orman just plain scares me. I'm not saying shes a bad person. After all the sub prime mortgage mess and crappy economy shes starting to get more and and more media attention as the "It" financial guru to help solve your financial problems. She's definitely made it since she makes frequent guest appearances on Oprah.

I've watched the way she helps people in financial trouble. First she berates them and yells at them like some rabid drill sergeant. Then she gets all nice and tells them she really cares with a sprinkling of financial advice such as, "Don't spend beyond your means" "Cut up those credit cards" "Don't eat out too much" "Pack your own lunch" "Take mass transit".

I'm not a financial genius, but arent' those obvious answers? Hell why am I not on Oprah? I could've given those same advices and I could've expensed them nicely.

Maybe she truely does care. But after watching Suze Orman hawking just one of her many financial advice products I started to wonder. She was hyping some kind of record keeping system with a plastic folder that protects your important documents from such damages as a house flood. No I didn't see the whole product but I was laughing. Why was I laughing? Because people are losing their homes. There is no basement to flood.

I'm starting to think that maybe she's helping herself out more than she's helping others. She's got to. How else is she going to keep up that year round tan?

1. carminenyc profile image59
      carminenycposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dude! Amen! You're not the only one. I was thinking I was!!! yikes

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Suzy's almost as dogmatic and obnoxious as Nancy Grace and Dr. Laura. Usually, however, her advice is sound.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Seen her so many times surfing from cnn to msnbc and back. However never stopped to listen to a word. So can't help you there. But sounds like you got the right attitude.

3. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

I have seen her many times. She has a sound knowledge about financial products. Her advices are valuable, a must follow in the present situation.

Jyoti Kothari

4. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

She was in the right place at the right time.  If the world economy had been just jolly at this moment, most people would probably not think as much about her books.  I have never driven and people used to tell me how much money I would save if I had a car, but now those same people are telling me I am so lucky that I do not have a car because I save money.  What changed?  Just the prices in gasoline.  So if you happen to have written many books on the subject and have a public persona, being in the right place at the right time can work well.  Orman has some good solid advice, but I would suggest checking her books out of the library because that goes with the theme of not paying extra.  Conversely, however, we must keep in mind she makes a living by selling lectures, videos, and books teaching others how to save money.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but this is why I would recommend checking her books out rather than purchasing these volumes.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

She is a little "scary" just because her confidence seems a bit over the top-- But if you do listen to her, it is hard not to agree with her advice. Yes-- it is basic common sense, which seems to be far too uncommon.

6. wannabwestern profile image93
    wannabwesternposted 15 years ago

I don't watch much TV so my experience of Suze Orman is mostly from her books, which are really informative. If you need a solid foundation for personal finance, her books are a good resource.

As for her personality, she has been successful for so long, perhaps she is losing touch with with the part of her that needed to become who she is today. Just a thought.

7. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60

Yes, She was right, she is and probably she will. Her common advises are so uncommon for the Americans but it is very common for the Indians who believe in saving in good times.

Jyoti Kothari

8. Reealjrd profile image60
    Reealjrdposted 15 years ago

Hello Friends,

Suze Orman she has a very nice knowledge about finance. I am also interested in finance field i read articles and contents written by such experts. These contents and articles helped me a lot in my stock trading. Most of the articles which i have read say that when you opt to invest in stock trading or any other trading business keep patience. The money you have invested will give returns. But to an extent if seeing loss increasing clear your positions but cleverly.

This was also told by my broker when i opened a real account and started trading one of the employee from my broker AVAFX told me keep patience while you trade,

9. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

She was OK a few years ago, when she was doing seminars on PBS and writing books.  She's really changed--and I think she's got deals with either credit card companies or other entities.  I know she's bashing Bush right now for the financial crisis, and who knows, maybe she is right.  I just can't separate the fact that she's got other interests and reasons that she's saying what she's saying.

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what to think of her at this point, but I've suspected that she's representing the credit card companies too lately.

For people with huge amounts of unsecured debt who are in trouble with it, the pay down the biggest interest card on down advice is bad advice. Dave Ramsey gives better advice for people in real trouble.

People who aren't in trouble don't need advice.

1. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've seen her in action a few times on Oprah (I've come out of the closet) and I was quite impressed with her. I was in banking for years myself and a Manager until I saw the light.  I would give similar advice to my own clients.

From what I've seen, which is not a great deal as I don't get much American TV, she is firm and the advice given for those who have already lost jobs and are in debt - well it's a bit late and therefore probably useless.  But I can understand her firmness.  I personally was aghast at the level of debt given to people who clearly couldn't afford it.  You can blame the banks as being irresponsible lenders, but geez, common sense by the borrower would have been a big help.

Consumerism is like a cancer, the whole consumer conglomerate lure people to WANT stuff they either don't need, or can't afford, and there is little thought for affordability - not really, really truly. 

The debt stacking is not a new one and it is either amortization by getting one loan to pay all - which no-one can get in US because no bank is lending because your house is worth less than the debt, or you try to get rid of the most expensive credit source first.  Which would be okay if you had a job to do that.

I'm not sure about the people who are not in trouble not needing advice.  Millionaires are now broke, so perhaps debt reduction in the first place may have safeguarded their assets.

Common sense didn't seem to apply when everything was rosy and stocks were stable.  And buying now, pay later only works when you can actually pay it later, which the Banks didn't safeguard, nor did the consumer.  I liked her frankness with people seeking advice - if you can't afford it don't buy it.  Couldn't agree more.

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

How dare you Jewel! It's ALL bank's fault!

:sarcasm smiley:

For the record - I am not too fond of this woman, too, you can find her advice in every entry level personal finance book, and heck, it does not apply to the current state of economy...

LG, she is personal finance talking head, pretty popular on that side of a pond

I agree, it doesn't really apply to the current situation - too late, the horse has bolted.

Misha, where's my smiley? I didn't get my smiley. sad

2. J. McCoy profile image61
        J. McCoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She drives me crazy too. Not only does she encourage using debt (albeit less debt), she comes off as 'fake' or shallow.

10. BooRadley profile image61
    BooRadleyposted 15 years ago

My girlfriend and I are avid fans of Saturday Night live.   While we were watching it this year we noticed on repeat character which was a talk show host who wouldn't shut up about her jackets and how she could afford them.

Not knowing the reference we thought little of it. 

Then we came across her show....  wow.   we watched it like it was a train wreck in slow motion.   People phone in for some stranger to give them a thumbs up on purchasing decisions?

We had to run as soon as the first commercial break came.

11. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

BTW I saw on the news the other night that credit card defaults in the U.S. were at 21 million for all of 2007, but for 2008 for the fourth quarter alone they'd hit 68 million.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

True. And Gretchen Morgenson wrote in the NYT a couple of days ago that quite a few tax free municpal bonds are in trouble. Or rather the communities who issued them are in financial difficulty and in danger of not being able to pay the interest. When the issuer faces financial difficulty they are required to issue a "distress letter." Distress letters have doubled in the past year or so. Morgenson points out that many of these shaky municipal bonds are trading at par, i.e. 100 cents on the dollar. This means that brokers aren't doing their job of informing bond buyers of the distress letters and buyers of the municipal bonds are paying much more than they should for the bonds or, better, not buying them at all. Just another little detail overlooked by the crooked hogs on Wall Street!

Here's a link to Morgenson's article entitled "Fair Game"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/business/22gret.html

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Holey Moley. Great article.

It's hardly surprising that municipal bonds are in trouble OR that they are being overvalued. Look at how fast and how badly city tax bases are eroding right now. When property loses value, the city loses money, When people aren't working they can't pay their property taxes anyway. When businesses pull out, more money lost. Foreclosures? Bye bye $$$$.

That's the irony. It's all reduced to stupid people and their stupid credit cards in the press but it's so much larger than that.

12. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I can't stand the bitch.

Who is she? Never heard of her.

She's a financial advisor brave enough to get herself on the tele and make heaps of money going mad at silly people for over-extending their credit and going broke. smile

13. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60

Suze is dominating, no doubt. however, can one deny her advises without risking one's financial health?

Jyoti Kothari

14. dineane profile image83
    dineaneposted 15 years ago

Just found out that Dave Ramsey has replaced Clark Howard on one of our local AM stations....not that I like or listen to the station much anyway, but I was disappointed to hear it.

Orman & Ramsey are from the same mold, to me - "common sense" advice that most people ought to know, but they are making big bucks regurgitating it. But I haven't listened to either lately, so maybe you are right, Pam, that Dave has better advice for people really in trouble. Still...I like Clark lots better!

15. goldentoad profile image61
    goldentoadposted 15 years ago

I can't stand any expert on finance, especially her.  They should all quit and lose their jobs. All one has to do is listen to their grandparents. Don't spend what you don't have. Earn what you can. Save what you can.

Yup toad, common sense rules.

Basically that is what she tells people. She's just been in the right place and the right time and made heaps of money doing it.  Maybe it should have been MEEEEEEEEE and I'd have a condo in Spain by now. darn!

16. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 15 years ago

The Wanky Banky Skank?

17. profile image0
    The Midlife Galsposted 15 years ago

Thank Gawd!  I mean, would you DATE her if you were a man?  or even a lesbyterian??  I think not.  The woman is so full of doom and gloom and rules and all the scolding that I picture her with no makeup, in a nun's habit and carrying a ruler to my seat where she raps my knuckles because I dared to give a positive response to her 'sky is falling' questions...Sister Mary Obnoxious.

Who in the HELL does she think she is...all the way to the bank??

KK (one/half of The Midlife Gals)

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

She is gay.  LOL  But probably in bed with credit card companies.

And like I said, she's really changed.  Gone over the top for prime time or something.  She used to be a little more serious a few years back when she was on PBS and came out with her first books.

18. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

Am I the only one that likes her?  The reason she keeps proclaiming the same simple advice is-- that WAY too many people just don't get it.
    Ok, perhaps she overdramatizes, but obviously she is trying to get the attention of people who are just oblivious to  their own mistakes.
    No, I don't want to date her. I don't want to date my financial adviser, banker or dentist, but they are all good at what they do.

19. pvrust profile image39
    pvrustposted 15 years ago

For all those who get a cold chill when Suzie gives advise, I'm right there with you. I can't even watch her any more. When she opens her mouth she constantly talks out of both sides!

Sorry, I'm going to have to pull a Simon on this one and say she is HORRIBLE! So many other great advisor's to listen too.wink

Gary Rust

20. Joe Sellers profile image40
    Joe Sellersposted 15 years ago

Amen to that. I can't stand to her that women talk. She is more of a sales women then anything else.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

There are several others much more obnoxious than Suze Orman--Larry Kudlow, Jim Cramer, and Rick Santelli, among financial commentators, not to mention Bill O'Reilly, Glen Beck and Nancy Grace.

21. visitmaniac profile image60
    visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

Eh I don't like her, I mean 95% of the stuff she does talk about is common sense I guess people lack in that. if you have the money you can buy it if you dont then dont. HELLO its not hard lol its the reason why we are in such a mess with debt anymore and stupid credit card companies everything in the us is some Credit we mid as well just look at it as a futuristic movie or game where we earn credits for working etc instead of cash lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)