Tips to save money and energy at home
You don’t have to be an environmental scientist to be able to list down ways in which you and I can save energy.
There are lot so simple things that we can do every day to use energy more efficiently.The less energy we use the more money you save and less greenhouse gas emission you produce.And I am sure Mother Earth will give us a thumbs up.
Savings begins at Home. You don’t have to live in the dark, but you can be energy efficient by doing the following:
- Replace standard incandescent globes with energy efficient globes, same light, much less energy.
- Use low wattage lamps or spotlights for soft lighting areas , rather than lighting a whole room.
- Before you turn on a light during the day, why not open the curtains and blinds for good natural light .
- Do something simple as turning off light when not in use, remind your kids, your husband and yourself.
Food for thought while you're at the kitchen
- Try to limit how often you open fridge or freezer doors.
- Check that door seals are working and replace if necessary
- Consider using microwave, electric frying pan or pressure cooker instead of an oven . Did you know that 90% of the energy used by oven is wasted.
- Keep lids on saucepans to bring food to the boil faster.
Use Your Appliances Wisely
Only turn on lights and appliances when you have to use them.
- Connect your dishwasher to cold water and only use your dishwasher when it’s full.
- Use economy cycle for everyday washing
- Washing Machine
- Connect your washing machine to cold water so only the initial wash is heated, not rinses.
I am lucky where I live, I don't need to have a clothes drier, the sun is free, there is absolutely nothing better than the sweet smell of sun dried clothing fresh off the clothesline. Aside from that it also reduces wear and tear on your clothes.
Car Green Hints
Wash your car only when it is really necessary and save water, reduce the amount of soap and harsh chemicals.
Use your car efficiently and only when necessary; think about car pools, walking, cycling or taking public transport instead.
Buy a small energy-efficient car and keep it well maintained. Share a family car; do not buy a new car for each family member.
Heating and Cooling
The summer months can be a very expensive because of the cost of air conditioning that blast all night. Make sure your air conditioning filters and refrigeration condenser are free of lint and dust - this keeps them working efficiently.
And when the chilly day and nights arrive, how can you make your homes warm and cozy and still save energy.
Maybe an old-fashion door snake, to block draughts. a bit of good interior decoration, use heavy curtains on windows, this will reduce heat loss . Make sure you check the filter of your air conditioners, filthy filters will have to work harder too and can increase your energy consumptions.
Do not heat unused rooms- close them off so they do not drain warmth from the rest of the house.
Remember that it is not only you and I who needs to do this, remind family members about your intentions of saving money and energy, together we can all do this and make a difference.
More by this Author
Explanations of the different Catholic symbols: these symbols act as badges of faith, teaching tools, and aids on the journey towards an understanding of complex philosophies. Images included.
First Name Almanac is a software where you can use for business to create a lovely printouts of the meaning of your name. Great for gifts and a great business idea.
From apple to watermelon, an A- Z list of different fruits and some related facts. Lots of photos included!