What To Do When You Win The Lottery
Judging from the comments I have heard from people who bought lottery tickets, not everyone who buys a ticket wants to win the lottery. “I never win.” ‘So why bother buying tickets?’ “It’s too much money.” ‘There’s no such thing as too much money. Don’t believe me? Just ask Bill Gates, Warren Buffett or Carlos Slim (of Mexico).’
I buy lottery tickets because I want to win, and I hope you do too. I have given a lot of thought to what I would do when I win the huge jackpot, and I want to share my thoughts with you.
1. Don’t panic. Take a deep breath, stay calm, make yourself a cup of tea and relax.
2. Tell no one. It will get out soon enough unless you live in a jurisdiction which allows you to remain anonymous, but this is rare. The only exception is your spouse.
3. Sign your ticket and write your name, address and telephone number where indicated.
4. Choose a safe place to keep your ticket but don’t forget where you hid it. Don’t laugh - it happens.
5. If you don’t already have one, have an electronic security system installed in your home.
6. Get an unlisted telephone number. Give it only to your closest family and friends. Tell them it’s something you’ve always wanted.
7. Learn to say “no”. Practice, practice, practice. Also think about what to say to people who ask you for money. “All my money is invested and I’m on an allowance. It really sucks, man.”
8. Book a two week vacation to a place you’ve always wanted to visit.
9. Go pick up your money. Remember to bring two pieces of ID.
10. Keep about $100,000 or so in your checking account and use the balance to buy a 90 day Certificate of Deposit.
11. Go on vacation.
12. When you return from vacation, talk to several financial planners and settle on the one you’re most comfortable with.
13. Stay under the radar and as low-key as possible.
14. Enjoy your money and your life.
More by this Author
The phrase “serve your country” is now commonly understood to mean military service. This phrase is very misleading and is used by those who want to attract new recruits to the military. There are many other...