26 Acts of Kindness - HOW You Can Make a Difference and Pay It Forward
Ann Curry's 26 Acts of Kindness
By now, you've probably heard about the movement, 26 Acts of Kindness, instigated by Ann Curry of NBC News. After the tragedy in Newtown, she asked what she could do as well as what could others do. What came of it was a resolve to do 26 Acts of Kindness in honor of the victims at Sandy Hook. Her story and response is inspiring.
Ideas for Random Acts of Kindness
This is something I'm going to try to do, but I'm not going to limit myself to 26 acts. And I'm not listing 26 ideas, as those random acts could change as opportunities emerge, but here are some things I've thought of:
1) Pay for the person behind you in the drive-through. (We've heard this one before.)
2) Take homemade muffins to the neighbors--or the utility worker on your street.
3) Take a card with your phone number to the neighbors for the kids to use in case of emergency.
4) Donate your seldom used pet toys--and blankets--to the Animal Shelter.
5) Leave your quarter in the cart slot at your Aldi grocery store.
6) Let someone in front of you in line in a busy department store.
7) Donate backpacks and warm socks and caps to the homeless shelter.
8) Send a care package of goodies to a friend going through a difficult time.
9) Take doughnuts to the police or fire stations, or the greeter at Wal-Mart--or all of them.
10) Send a card to the Sandy Hook elementary school to let them know you're thinking of them.
11) Donate to your favorite charity.
12) Send a card telling someone you forgive them for past hurts.
13) Start a college fund for a new baby of someone you know.
These are only half of the 26 possible ideas for my own acts of kindness. This list may change as other opportunities present themselves. Random acts of kindness don't have to be extravagant. They can be as simple as opening a door for someone or as generous as tipping a server $100 for a $30 tab. An act of kindness can be as creative as leaving a lottery ticket on a windshield in a crowded parking lot. These are some of the examples you'll read about and see photos of as Ann Curry of NBC News explains her story.
Check out Ann Curry's explanation--and all these examples of #26 Acts of Kindness!
- 'If you do good, you'll feel good': Ann Curry explains origins of #26Acts of Kindness - U.S. News
After being in Newtown, I woke up the next morning and thought about what could be done. What is the answer to this kind of national suffering? And I remembered a moment . . . .
Share a note and a tweet!
Ann Curry tweeted to ask "Who's in?" and found that many were. They followed with tweeting their completed acts of kindness. See the examples where many left notes with their acts, saying that they were doing this in honor of the 26 victims of Newtown, even numbering which one their recipient was. Neat idea! And, no, it's not about bragging. It's about sharing, encouraging, and spreading the hope that comes from kindness in all of these random acts.
Tweet with hashtag #26Acts to share with others. I've noticed that some are tweeting to @26Acts as well. If you feel the need to also let Ann Curry know what you've done, send her a message @AnnCurry.
#26 Acts of Kindness Poll
Will you participate?See results without voting
Make a difference one person at a time
Make a difference one person at a time. Who knows what lives you may touch and those they will touch in return.
See justateacher's hub, #26 Acts of Kindness, Ann Curry Style, for more ideas and inspiration. See also hubber healthylife2 from Connecticut, and what she is doing to make a difference in the very community that was affected by the Sandy Hook tragedy.
#26 Acts Going Viral
More by this Author
I learned money-saving tips from growing up. Mom taught me how to live frugally, and I have incorporated many of these tips into my own life. Frugal living tips for single mothers or single parents.
To be extremely frugal, frugality has to be a lifestyle. Besides frugal and thrifty living, you have to cut things out of your budget and sacrifice. There are also ways to make extra money to add to your budget....
How to write an observation essay? Observation paper tips and sample essay. Take notes, group notes, outline. Write introduction and significant conclusion. See examples.