African Americans Still Facing Discrimination
Even in 2012
discrimination has been taking place in this country ever since it was first discovered, and has not been completely taken away. Even though Title 8 of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 makes it illegal to discriminate against a person based on race, color, sex, national origin, or disability.
Discrimination against African Americans or Black Americans began when the United States was developing. People from Africa were kidnapped and sold into slavery, then treated like common animals. Their children were taken from them, families were separated, and many of them were either worked or beaten to death. Even after slavery was ended after the Civil was discrimination was powerful.
When the Vietnam was came, African Americans contributed to the military efforts. However, they were forced to be in segregated units. Even though African Americans made up less then 10% of men in the men in arms, the accounted for 20% of all combat related deaths in Vietnam.
Discrimination against African Americans are all over the United States. Statistics can prove this to be true.
1) The middle class White family earns almost 18% more then the middle class Black family.
2) The middle class White family, about 72%, owns their homes, while only about 46% of the middle class Black family owns their homes.
3) Unemployment is for Black people is double then it is for White people.
4) Some companies hire mostly White people. An example is Microsoft. In the 2000, there were 20,000 White people working for Microsoft, and 544 Black people working for Microsoft. That is the most incredible statistic I could find.
5) Racial discrimination is a serious problem in the Judicial System. About 98% of the Judges are White. Black men are 8 times more likely to be put in prison then White men. When it comes to death sentences, 74% of them are given to Black men.
Another thing I found when looking for information for this hub was horrible. I found studies that were done about African Americans. Since there have been several studies, this hub is only going to focus on one of them. This study co-authored by Jennifer Eberhardt, an associate professor of psychology at Stanford University.
This study showed that many Americans subconsciously associated Black people with apes. Also, this study showed that many people thought violence against Black people was more acceptable then White people. The name of this study is " Not yet human: Implicent knowledge, Historical Dehumanization, and contemporary consequences."
Do you believe African American are experiencing racism?See results without voting
- Six Wonderful African American Singers
African American women, singers some have suffered, but they still had the strength to keep trying. Now they are strong, beautiful, and wonderful. These are six of my favorite singers.
- Scientology And South Park
Scientology was created by L. Ron Hubbard who mostly wrote science fiction novels. Well, until he decided to make Scientology a religion.
- Many Antichrists, Yet More To Come...
The Antichrist is not only one person, but perhaps even a group of people. No matter, who the Antichrist is, it is pure evil
More by this Author
Sometimes our home are broken into and we are robbed. Sometimes we are not at home, but when we are home, there are ways we can protect ourselves and those we love, without using a gun.
A response to the hub "Join the Illuminati" written by Larry Okeke, who believed the Illuminati is a "defunct secret service" He is wrong, very wrong. The Illuminati is alive, and very deadly.
On Dec. 31, 2011 Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act, which could give him the power to enact martial law. He can stay in power as long as he wants to.