Are you distracted or just a distraction?
Not paying attention to teachers
Sleep: the easy distraction
can be very dangerous, an embarrassment, and problem if not dealt with immediately.
There are numerous distractions to take our attention and turn it upside down and on everything and everyone but what we need to be focused upon.
And if we are the distracter, that is equally bad. What if, for the time we are a distraction to that one person in class, work, or school, we have robbed them of a brilliant idea or thought?
Being a distraction or distracter is a problem in our society.
I choose not to be either.
There are so many grade-level, high school, and college students . . .
Who are now wishing that they had paid more attention to that "boring" instructor instead of day-dreaming of the huge blow-out party that they were invited to that night.
And as for adults, why didn't "Joe," the truck driver, who had a big opportunity to get off the road and be promoted to a supervisor, but instead nodded-off in the special classes his company sent him to take and he didn't pass the supervisor's test.
You see. Distractions and distracters affect everyone.
Is day-dreaming a distraction?
Let's be honest
with each other. In 2014 there are so many distractions for the old and young alike, that it is tough keeping focused on just one subject.
This isn't a cop-out or promoting an easy way out. It is a problem that used to be a cute thing to do.
"Ohhh, that Mike. He is such a distraction I can hardly listen to my preacher."
We, as a public service, need to decide to make a wise choice as to which we are in life. A distraction or a distracter.
Just what will being distracted cost me?
- Respect of others
Just what is a distraction?
any thing, person, object -- real or fictitious, that hampers or lulls our attention from what we are supposed to be thinking about.
Here are a few distractions you might recognize
- Cell phones
- Portable video games
- Smart Phones
- Pretty girls
- Handsome guys
How to know if you are a distraction
- Your grades start spiraling in a downward trend
- People have to refresh your memory of what happened yesterday
- You cannot hold the simplest of jobs
- You somehow think a long nap will solve all of your problems
- All-night chats in chat rooms on the Internet are an addiction
- You think to yourself that you can catch-up later
- You are blamed for giving wrong information to an important friend of your family and it leads to a huge blow-up
- You have no girl or boyfriends because you cannot stay focused on them
How to know if you distract people
- What used to be fun is no longer fun to your friends who now hate you for causing them to fail at school
- You are labeled a troublemaker, a name you used to despise
- You see no harm in changing the instructor's study plan to one that was used last year
- You get laughs galore from seeing your friends and family always confused when you are around
- The word, "lax," becomes your middle name
- People in class or work are always saying,"We best get back to our jobs."
Do not panic
This problem is not without solution. Although at your low-point, you might think your life is all but over, it is not.
You are going to have to re-learn how to not be distracted by people, animals, songs, or anything else you have allowed to take your focus a prisoner.
Things you can do to start regaining your focus
- Learn to say, "not now," when a friend texts you in class.
- Learn to say, "No," when they text you again.
- Make-up your mind to not be robbed of that raise, passing grade or that respect that you let go when you were not paying attention.
- Fill your mind with positive things. The frivolous things are what is tearing your attention span apart.
- Learn to set boundaries to your friends - tell them plainly when to call you and when they can come to your house to hang-out.
- Set your priorities and stick to them. Losing focus only happens when your priorities are out of sync with your life choices.
So what will it be, a distraction or someone who distracts?
Drop that rubic's cube and answer me.
More by this Author
We’re born. We grow. We learn. Pretty basic, huh? Along the pathway of our life journey, we encounter numerous things. Some bad. Some good. And some we really cannot explain. I don’t think that we, as the...
The non-educated masses think that all a Peeping Tom does is sneak up to some lady's window and peek at her. They also think this is an easy crime to commit. Not so. It's tough to be a Peeping Tom.
I am NOT a Scrooge. Just upfront.