Aung San Suu Kyi : The Beauty And The Beast
Aung San Suu Kyi
Aung San Suu Kyi : unseen photos
Aung San Suu Kyi, the political icon of Myanmar (Burma), needs no introduction. This hub is not about the life of Aung San Suu Kyi , but about her beautiful photos rarely seen by the public. You would have noticed that each photo of hers even at her present age, exudes a beautiful regal aura in her character.
Who is the beast then? None other than the person who forcefully imprisoned her, depriving her of her proper status as an elected politician. He is by no means the handsome prince.
Below is a brief biodata of Aung San Suu Kyi :
- Date of birth 19 June 1945.
- The father of Aung San Suu Kyi, Aung San, founded the modern Burmese army and negotiated Burma's independence from the United Kingdom in 1947. He was assassinated in the same year. (See Youtube video below for "a brief history".)
- B.A in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics (Oxford) in 1969.
- Ph.D. from the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, 1985.
- Married Michael Aris in 1972. He was a scholar of Tibetan culture.
- General Secretary of the National League for Democracy (NLD) which was formed on 27 September 1988.
- Under forced detention, she was awarded the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought in 1990, and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991.
- She is still under forced detention to this day. (Breaking News: Aung San Suu Kyi was released today Saturday, 13 November, 2010. See Youtube below. It is quite disturbing that the crowd could get so close to her. One lady could even grab her and kiss her. And she stood high in front of her gate facing thousands of supporters.
This is very distressful for me. It is very very dangerous to expose her like that.)
- Her philosophy: Non-violence as influenced by Mahatma Gandhi, and Buddhism.
- Affectionately addressed as Daw Suu by fellow Burmese. "Daw" being an honorific similar to madam for older, revered women. It literally means "aunt".
Take your time to view the photos and the follow-up Youtube videos.
Spare a thought for Aung San Suu Kyi and may she regain her rightful place in time to come.
(Latest update 22 Dec 2010 : Don't miss the last Youtube below, brilliantly presented by one of my readers dedicated to Daw Suu)
New Year’s Day, 1972, Chelsea registry office in London. Aung San Suu Kyi and Michael Aris married, aged 26 and 25 respectively.
Aung San Suu Kyi at her wedding reception, following a Buddhist blessing at a family friend’s London home.
Aung San Suu Kyi on the snowy slopes of a mountain in Bhutan in 1971. Further up the hill, at Taktsang temple, Michael had proposed to her.
The future Nobel laureate riding a mule up a mountain in Bhutan, 1971
Her husband-to-be, Michael Aris, riding a yak in Bhutan, where he was a tutor to the royal family, 1971
Aung San Suu Kyi’s mother, Daw Khin Kyi, meets her grandson, Alexander, for the first time on a family visit to Rangoon. Michael Aris stands at the back. 197
A family picnic in Grantown-on-Spey. Aung San Suu Kyi with her husband (with the beard) and two sons Alexander and Kim. The woman in the back wearing the headsc
1970/1980 on the lawn of her father-in-law’s house in Grantown-on-Spey, Scotland, Aung San Suu Kyi plays with her two sons, Alexander (in the braces) and Kim.
From 1973 to 1988, Aung San Suu Kyi devoted her time and energy to motherhood in Oxford where her husband was an academic.
Having a barbecue on a family holiday to the Norfolk Broads in the early 1980s
Aung San Suu Kyi
Two age-defying beauties with uncanny similarities
This is perhaps a long shot from my own imagination. Take a look at the two photos below. One is Aung San Suu Kyi and the other is Tracy Huang.
These two personalities belong to a vastly different spectrum of popularity and adulation. However, to me, when I see Aung San Suu Kyi, she reminds me of Tracy Huang; and vise versa. They seem to possess an uncanny similarities in appearance. Look at those eyes; bearing in mind that both are Asians!
I stand corrected for my poor eyesight and shallow perception.
Aung San Suu Kyi : The Freedom Song
A Tribute To Aung San Suu Kyi In Burmese
WARNING: THIS VIDEO HAS SOME GRAPHIC FOOTAGE WHICH MAY CAUSE DISTRESS
Link to my other interesting and beneficial articles
If you find this article interesting or beneficial, you may go to my "Profile" page to read my other articles by simply CLICKHERE:
By the way, the copyright to this article is owned by Good Guy. Please do not “copy and paste”! Thank you.
A Brief History
Aung San Suu Kyi is freed, at least for now.
The film "The Lady"
More by this Author
China’s New First Lady : Peng Liyuan. China will never be the same again with the ever popular, sensational and glamorous singing personality as the First Lady!
Han Suyin : Doctor, Author, Internationalist. She was most famous for her novel "A many-splendored thing" which was made into the film "Love is a many-splendored thing". Apart from being a...
Learn about the benefits of tibicos mushroom or water kefir and an easy fermentation method to prepare tibicos drink. There are proven vast health benefits. Given free to those interested.