Boycott the Anti-Gay Salvation Army This Holiday Season, and Beyond
The Salvation Army is widely known as a charity that operates homeless shelters, soup kitchens for the poor, and thrift stores.
One of their most well-known fundraising activities is their huge force of bell ringers dressed in Santa Claus suits - you know them, they stand outside of retail stores and collect donations with their bell and kettle during the holiday season.
What most people do not realize, is that the Salvation Army is an anti-gay organization that has a history of pouring massive amounts of dollars and time into policies and causes that discriminate against gays and lesbians.
Their Position on Homosexuality
Behind the red shield of charity of the Salvation Army is a Protestant evangelical church.It is the position of the church that:
- Sexual intimacy is understood as a gift of God to be enjoyed within the context of heterosexual marriage.
- Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex, are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life.
- There is no scriptural support for same-sex unions as equal to, or as an alternative to, heterosexual marriage.
These statements are brought to you directly from their website. They firmly stand behind their beliefs, and I applaud them for that.
People should stand behind their beliefs - that is why I am standing behind mine when I urge you to boycott the Salvation Army.
Here are the Facts... Along with my Italicized Comical Commentary (Sorry, Sergeant Friday)
A History of the Salvation Army's Anti-Gay Antics:
* In California, a regional arm of the Salvation Army instituted a policy to offer domestic partner benefits to employees.They later decided to re-examine the policy, and it was later repealed.
Of Course... why, one of a company’s very best practices is to revoke those policies that might enhance the quality of life for its dedicated employees and their families.
* The organization led an active and aggressive campaign against the Homosexual Law Reform Bill in New Zealand.
Prior to 1986, consensual sex between adult men was a crime that was punishable by law, this bill decriminalized homosexuality.
The bill was passed, culminating in Homosexual law Reform Act of 1986, but the Salvation Army fought against it by collecting thousands of signatures to have the it repealed.
Oh yeah, with all of the horrible things that people do to each other in the world, it makes perfect sense to rally the troops to go out and gather signatures against something natural, that grown-ups participate in consensually, and in the privacy of their own homes…
* It was revealed that the organization approached the Bush Administration (as high up as Karl Rove) to try to get approval that would enable them to discriminate against gays and lesbians in their hiring practices.
We all know that it is inherently right to discriminate against those people in our society that we do not approve of, you know…. women, blacks, disabled people, gays, etc
* They reduce the gay and lesbian lifestyle to the simplicity of “sexual urges,” and they firmly believe that Homosexuality is a choice, and an act of rebellion against God.
According to the Australian Chapter of the Salvation Army:
"[Homosexual activity is] as rebellion against God's plan for the created order.... Homosexual practice, however, is, in the light of Scripture, clearly unacceptable," says the Australia section. "Such activity is chosen behavior and is thus a matter of the will. It is therefore able to be directed or restrained in the same way heterosexual urges are controlled. Homosexual practice would render any person ineligible for full membership (soldiership) in the Army."
Yes folks, gays and lesbians most certainly appreciate it when people believe that the love and lives they share with their partners is all about sex. Furthermore, most gays and lesbians also love it when the population at large believes that they simply woke up one day and made the choice to be gay…
* The organization threatened to walk away from all its projects in New York if the city proceeded in a policy that would require contracted organizations to provide same-sex benefits.
Their New York City projects include homeless shelters, HIV services, foster care, and soup kitchens.
Nothing says charity quite like denying food and shelter to homeless people…Yes folks, that is exactly what pops into my head when I think about the phrase “What would Jesus do?”
In their defense, the people who seek their charitable services are never turned away because of their sexual orientation.
However, when choosing agencies to which you will donate your money and time, why not choose to support those charitable organizations that do not contribute to homophobia, such as:
- The American Red Cross
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of America
- Doctors without Borders
When you give your money to the Salvation Army, you are supporting the efforts of an organization that perpetuates hatred and discrimination.
Resist the urge to drop money in those kettles this holiday season, and do not give them one thin dime, do not shop at their stores, and do not donate your used items to them until they change their anti-gay policies - which will most likely never happen.
- Sources -
Have Your Say
Would You Knowingly Support an Anti-Gay Organization?See results without voting
More by this Author
Homeless shelters are pretty much self-explanatory. If you get evicted, or you lose your housing some other way, and you might have to find a homeless shelter until you can get yourself together. Before you decide to...
The Stats Name: David W. Lanier Occupation: Judge Crime: Sexual Assault, Violation of Civil Rights Sentence: Prison, 25 Years Judge David W. Lanier had his hands on the pulse of the law in Dyersburg,...
Of all the low income housing programs, tax credit apartment, or income based apartments are the most hassle free. You will not find long waiting lists, and there are no lengthy application rituals like the ones...