Women on the warpath
Come and Vote
Do you believe that Cotton could poison people including her children?See results without voting
As a child she was unhappy
- MARY ANN COTTON saw the first light of day in Low Moorsley, Sunderland, England.
- She had an unhappy childhood.
- She moved to places in Northern England like Plymouth, Davon, Newcastle and County Durham.
She poisoned people without mercy for money
- She killed 20 people - three husbands, one lover, one friend, her mother, two Robinson's children, twelve children - including her own - by arsenic poisoning.
- She often killed for financial reasons - to collect insurance payouts.
- She died on 24th March 1873 at aged 40 by hanging at Durham County Jail.
She wrote a rhyme about her death
MARY ANN COTTON had written her own NURSERY RHYME by the same title which was sung after her hanging on March 24, 1873:
Mary Ann Cotton. She's dead and she's rotten. She lies in her bed, With her eyes wide open. Sing, sing, oh, what can I sing? Mary Ann Cotton is tied up with string. Where, where? Up in the air. Sellin' black puddens a penny a pair.
.Note: puddens are kinds of sausage
Come and Vote
What is the real reason why Wuornos became a prostitute-turned serial killer?See results without voting
Abandoned and exposed to sex at early age
- Aileen "Lee" Wuornos, American serial killer, together with her elder brother Keith, were abandoned at an early age.
- She was known to have engaged in sexual acts with multiple partners, including her own brother.
- At 13, she got pregnant and bore a son in Detroit in 1971.
She killed 7 truck drivers
- Her criminal career started early.
- An American prostitute, she shot to death 7 men along the highways of Florida between 1989 and 1990.
- She confessed to these killings on January 16, 1991, claiming that her victims have tried to rape her and that she had acted in self-defense
Her victims include
- Richard Mallory, 51,
- Dick Humphreys, 56,
- David Spears, 43,
- Charles Carskaddon, 40,
- Peter Siems, 65,
- Troy Burress, 50,
- Walter Antonio, 62.
- She was pronounced guilty of the murder of only six of her 7 victims because Peter Siems corpse was not found up to her trial and conviction.
- She was executed by lethal injection on 9th October, 2002.
Her modus operandi
- Wuornos victims were truck drivers.
- She would walk by the highways, flag and hitchhike a passing truck and once inside, offer sex to the driver.
- Then she would systematically shot the driver to death and robbed them of cash and valuables.
- This explains why some of her victims were found nude.
Motive for killing
- Because of her too little income from prostitution, she was forced to find other means to support her and Tyria Moore's basic needs.
- She had a 4-year love relationship with Moore.
- She was afraid that Moore would desert her.
- The fact is that she really longed for the care and love which were denied by her parents.during her childhood.
- The affection she had long missed found temporary refuge in the person of Tyria Moore- the same sex of her- as well as in the companion of some close male friends.
More by this Author
The pertinent kidney law in the Philippines is thoroughly discussed. Vital functions of the kidneys are explained.
This is a sad but true story of Pam Bobcock, a 35-year old woman from Ness City, Wichita, Kansas, who was sensationalized by the press for sitting in the toilet bowl for 2 years. Why? Find out.
Basic information about pinworms, hookworms, threadworms and tapeworms. How to avoid them. Medicine for treatment.