Cabinet Members of the UK (2010 Election)
This hub hopes to outline the members in the UK cabinet for the 2010 election (the Conservative-Lib Dem Coalition) outlining their positions, backgrounds, and qualifications.
- Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- First Lord of the Treasury
- Minister for the Civil Service
- Leader of the Conservative Party
- Conservative MP for Witney
- Educated at Heatherdown Prepatory School, Winkfield, Berkshire from the age of 7 and then Eton College, Berkshire when he was 13
- Father was a stockbroker, Ian Donald Cameron
- Mother was a Justice of the Peace (magistrate)
- Brother is Allan Alexander QC (top barrister) (Eton educated)
- Maternal Grandfather was Lieutenant-Colonel Sir William Malcolm Mount of Wasing Place, 2nd Baronet TD (Eton educated)
- Paternal Grandfather was Tim Rathbone, (Conservative) MP for Lewes
- First in Philosophy, Politics, Economics from Brasenose College, Oxford University
- David Cameron is a lineal descendant of King William IV through an illegitimate line, stemming from King William IV's mistress: Enid Agnes Maud Levita.
- Cameron was caught taking Cannabis 6 weeks before his O-Level exams and was made to pay a fine as well as facing a ban from leaving school grounds.
- Deputy Prime Minister
- Lord President of the Council
- Liberal Democrat MP for Sheffield Hallam since 2007
- Privately educated at Caldicott School in Farnham Royal, South Buckinhamshire and Westminster school in Central London.
- Father is Nicholas Peter Clegg, chariman of United Trust Bank who was heavily involved ( a trustee) in the Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation (devoted to bringing Japan and the Britain).
- Mother is Dutch: Hermance van den Wall Bake and was interned by the Japanese military in Batavia.
- Studied Archaeology and Anthropology at Robinson College.
- Studied for a year at the University of Minnesota
- Clegg speaks 5 languages fluently: English, Dutch, German, French and Spanish
- He was arrested for setting fire to as he is quoted to say "the leading collection of cacti in Germany".
- Worked as an intern for Christopher Hitchens as a fact-checker
- First Secretary of State
- Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Conservative MP for Richmond since 1989.
- Mother and father ran a soft drinks manufacturing business
- Educated at the state grammar school: Wath-upon-Dearne Grammar School
- First from Magdalen College, Oxford in Philosophy, Politics and Economics
- Studied a "Master of Business Administration" degree at INSEAD (a business school)
- Was leader of the conservative party between June 1997 and September 2001
- William Hague, although serving leader of the Conservatives for four years, never became Prime Minister, making him the first person to have done this since the 1920's (Austen Chamberlain).
- Whilst President of the Oxford University Conservative Association (OUCA) Hague was convicted of electoral malpractice (including ballto box stuffing).
- Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Conservative MP for Tatton since 2001
- Fathers is Sir Peter Osborne, 17th Baronet
- Mother was a Labour voter and worked for Amnesty International
- Privately educated at Norland Place School in Holland Park and St Paul's School in Barnes
- 2:1 in Modern History from Magdalen College, Oxford University
- Chief Secretary to the Treasury
- Liberal Democrat MP for Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch & Strathspey
- Born in Edinburgh
- Father was a firefighter, potter and deputy pier master
- Educated at the comprehensive Lochaber High school
- Philosophy, Politics, Economics from St Ann'es College, Oxford
- Secretary of State for the Home Department
- Conservative MP for Maidenhead
- Father was a Church of England clergyman
- Educated at both state and independent schools
- BA in Geography from St Hugh's College, Oxford University.
- Secretary of State for Defence
- Conservative MP for Runnymede and Weybridge
- Born in Epping, Essex
- Father was a civil engineer
- State educated
- Philosophy, Politics, Economics from University College, Oxford
Dr. Vince Cable
- Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills
- President of the Board of Trade
- Liberal Democrat MP for Twickenham since 1997
- Born in York
- Grammar school educated
- Degree in economics from Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge
Iain Duncan Smith
- Secretary of State for Work and Pensions
- Conservative MP for Chingfood and Woodford Green since 1997
- Born in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Father was a Group Captain in the British Royal Airforce
- Mother was Pamela Summers, a ballerina
- Comprehensively educated up until age 14 and then at a merchant navy training school
- 1 year at the University for Foreigners Perugia, Italy
- Attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
- Born in London
- Grew up in Buckinhamshire
- Educated at the Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe
- BA in History from Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge
- Worked as a producer in the BBC for 2 years 1986-1988 and then again as a business development manager on BBC Select.
- Worked as an editor for Channel 4's Business Daily programme.
- Before becoming a Conservative politician, Grayling was a member of the Social Democratic Party.
More by this Author
A hub summarising what a pressure group is and what different kinds of them there are!
A summary of the positions within the UK cabinet and simple explanations of their roles.
This hub serves to teach french students about french pollution including french vocabulary, phrases and the english translations of the french.
No comments yet.