Casey Anthony Trial: Guilty Verdict = Sentenced to Death
Casey Anthony to be Executed?
Will Casey Anthony be executed? Florida prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Casey Anthony, who is charged with murdering her daughter, 2-year-old Caylee Anthony.
Prosecutors filed papers this week seeking the death penalty if Casey Anthony is found guilty of murdering Caylee Anthony.
Casey Anthony's attorney, Jose Baez, was quoted as saying: "This is not a death penalty case. We will do whatever is necessary to defend Casey Anthony from the State trying to take her life."
Death Penalty in Florida
If Casey Anthony is sentenced to death, she will not be the first woman to be executed in the state of Florida.
In 1998, Judy Buenoano was executed by electrocution. She was the first woman sentenced to death in the state of Florida since 1848, and the first woman to sit in Florida's electric chair.
In 2002, Aileen Wuornos was executed via lethal injection in the State of Florida. Wuornos provided a chilling confession to the murders of several men and was convicted and sentenced to death of six of the murders.
Death Row Inmates
If Casey Anthony is found guilty of murdering Caylee Anthony, she may be sentenced to death. Should she become a death row inmate,Casey Anthony will be the fourth woman to be executed in the state of Florida since 1848.
The following statistics on executed inmates in Florida (male and female) should provide insight into Casey Anthony's future:
- There have been 67 executions in the state of Florida since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976.
- 12 years is the average length of stay on Florida's death row prior to execution.
- 44 years is the average age of the Florida prisoner at the time of execution.
- Death row inmates are only permitted to shower every other day.
- Women women on Death Row are housed at Lowell Correctional Institution Annex in Lowell, FL.
- In 2000, Governor Jeb Bush signed legislation implementing lethal injection as an alternative method of execution in the state of Florida.
Will Casey Anthony be Sentenced to Death?See results without voting
More by this Author
Casey Anthony is a crazy, diabolical liar. You've said, I've said it, we've all said it. Is there any truth in our words? Is Casey Anthony crazy? Will a jury find her insane? It's quite clear she fits the profile of...
It was one of the hottest summers on Staten Island. My mother had just placed a fan inside the living room window of our two bedroom home. As she fixed breakfast, the telephone rang. It was our neighbor. "A little...
The day we found our home, it was immaculate. The floors were gleaming, the paint was spotless and the massive run of cedar on the walls of our stairway was beautiful. We made an offer and jumped up and down for sixty...