Safe Suburbs and Crime in Melbourne, Australia: What is a Safe Place to Live?
What are safe places to live in Melbourne, Australia?
In general Melbourne is a very safe metropolis to live in. Melbourne consists of over several hundred suburbs. In this article I will equip you with the knowledge you need to figure out whether a suburb is safe or not. Crime statistics won't tell you everything but you should certainly take them into account when selecting a suburb to live.
I have lived in Melbourne for over six months and I have not felt unsafe. But I should also say that I've been to suburbs where I wouldn't want to live myself. Melbourne is big and, like in any world city of this size, you'll see some weird people from time to time. In some neighbourhoods you can walk alone at night but in other neighbourhoods it is probably better to take a taxi.
have a rough idea of where you want to live in Melbourne, lookup some
suburbs in that part of the metropolis. Use a map of Melbourne
to see all the suburbs and follow the instructions in this article.
How to view Melbourne crime by suburb
You can view the crime statistics per suburb in Melbourne by doing the following:
- Go to Postcodes.com.au and type in the name of the suburb. Set the state to Victoria and click Search. You will now get the postcode of that suburb.
- Go to Victoria Police Online - My Place and in the textbox below the map, type the postcode that you found in step 1.
- If your postcode is part of multiple Police Service Areas (PSAs), you need to select the police service area that you want more information about. Have a look at all of them if you are not sure where exactly in the suburb you wish to live.
- You will now get an overview of crime statistics of that police service area, such as crimes against persons and crimes against properties. You will also get the statistics of a selected number of crimes, such as theft, burglary, and assault.
These statistics should help you in finding a safe neighbourhood for yourself and your family. The crime statistics by suburb of Melbourne are updated every three months.
Are you living in a safe neighbourhood?
Another way to view crime in Melbourne by suburb is to look at the websites of the Neighbourhood Watch Victoria program. Neighbourhood Watch is a community program where the residents of a neighbourhood work together to keep their area safe.
This program is operated in the whole state of Victoria, not just Melbourne. Note that not all areas of the state Victoria have a Neighbourhood Wath program.
You cannot lookup a specific suburb of Melbourne but they have divided the state into large areas which are subdivided further.
To lookup information about an area of Melbourne that you are interested in, do the following:
- Go to Neighbourhood Watch Victoria.
- On the left you'll see roughly the four areas north, east, south, and west. Have a look around and click on the area one where your suburb is located.
- You will now be directed to the Neighbourhood Watch website of that area.
- Read the information that this website provides. Some of these websites are really informational but others are rather basic. But you may find some useful information about your area. This is also a good way to get an idea of surrounding neigbourhoods.
More information about suburbs in Melbourne
A good place to find more information about suburbs in Melbourne is the website by the Victorian government. They have a section on Melbourne's precincts and suburbs that discusses the areas in and around the central business district of Melbourne. This is useful if you want to live close to the city center of Melbourne.
For an overview and more information about all suburbs in Melbourne, have a look through this list of Melbourne suburbs at Wikipedia. Use the provided information as a starting point to explore Melbourne's suburbs. You can also browse the category of suburbs of Melbourne.
You can find more information about Melbourne suburbs at this Melbourne suburbs website. I was unable to determine where they get their information from and how frequently it is updated but at least you can get an idea of a suburb.
Lock your doors! No thiefs inside!
Purchase an alarm system to protect your house!
How to live safely in Melbourne
A safe neighbourhood starts by taking appropriate precautions yourself:
- Install a home alarm system to protect your home.
- Keep an eye on your belongings.
- Purchase good door locks and lock doors when you are away.
- Do not leave your computer or phone unattended in your car.
- Install a car alarm system to protect your car.
- Do not provide easy opportunities for a thief to steal your stuff.
- Read books on home security and theft prevention.
- Don't be out late at night alone.
- Report suspicious behaviour to the local police.
Read more about keeping your home safe
Install an alarm system in your car
Did you like this article? You can use the Share button below to send this article to your friends and relatives.
Choosing a safe place to live should not be taken lightly so get everyone involved!
This article was written by Simeon Visser. I am earning money online by writing here at HubPages.com. Would you like to earn money online as well? Read the success stories and sign up today to get started!
More by this Author
Cupcakes are a delicious treat and they are sold in many cupcake shops in Melbourne. This article tells you where to get those cupcakes in Melbourne for your birthday party, wedding or business event.
We can convert a HTML5 canvas image into a base64 representation and we can display such base64 image data if we wish using a few lines of code. This tutorial shows you how and also discusses some possible applications...
Drawing circles and arcs in HTML5 can be quite a challenge. In this tutorial I explain how to draw circles and arcs and how the angles of arcs are measured. This tutorial contains many examples.