Drilling and Oil Companies Active in the Gulf of Mexico List
Drilling and Oil Companies in the Gulf of Mexico
Drilling and oil companies in the Gulf of Mexico play a huge role in the U.S. economy. Economic and environmental impact of oil and gas production from the Gulf of Mexico can shape economic, geopiltical and environmental policy for years to come.
The Deepwater Horizon massive catastrophic oil spill in 2010 led to the largest environmental disaster in U.S. history and has all eyes on the Gulf. In addition to that there is the annual hurricane season, The massive employment from the oil and gas industry, taxes from the oil and gas industry and of course the oil and gas price impact from the region.
Given the heavy presence of oil and gas rigs in the gulf the majority of offshore rig contractors are represented in the Gulf of Mexico. Transocean Ltd which is the largest oil service company in the world has the largest presence. Transocean also owned the Deepwater Horizon rig, which exploded on April 22 that led to the massive oil spill.
Baker Hughes Inc complies a weekly rig status update from seven drilling contractors. The report shows there are 347 oil and gas rigs operating offshore globally. Of those rigs 57 were active in the Gulf of Mexico at the time of the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon rig. Since the BP Deepwater oil rig disaster the US Federal government ordered a moratorium on deep sea drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. This moratorium was challenged in court with the damage to the Gulf economy. and has been subject to appeal by the US administration. Norway has also suspended new deep sea drilling since the BP disaster after it was determined the disaster could have been avoided.
Guide to Oil Exporation
Understanding Drilling for Oil
- Oil and Gad Drilling Affect on Gulf Coast Economy
The Gulf Coast economy faces doom after Standard& Poor's oil and gas drilling company downgrades after the Gulf drillingban. The US drilling moratorium is a threat to Gulf Coast jobs and the Gulf Coast...
- New Norway Deep Sea Drilling Halted
The BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf ofMexico continues to have ramifications for the oil industry. American PresidentObama has declared a six-month moratorium on more exploratory drilling in...
BP Horizon Gulf Oil Spill Environmental Impact
- Oil Spill Threatens Oysters Marine Ecosystem
Gulf Coast Oyster The Gulf oil spill threatens oysters marine ecosystem as the massive oil slick from the ruptured undersea wellhead of Deepwater Horizon drilling rig makes its way to the Louisiana foreshore.
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Mobilizes Wildlife Rescue Teams
NASA Photo of Horizon Impact and leak with exposed shore from April 27. 2010 The Gulf of Mexico oil spill mobilizes wildlife rescue teams as the world is witnessing the worlds largest oil spill grow.
- Oil Spill Closes Gulf Fishing
NOAA Map of Oil Spill Fishing Closure The U.S. oil spill closes Gulf fishing in what is becoming an ever-worsening disaster. The sleek oil sleek continues to thread its way across the Gulf of Mexico
- Environmental Risk of Oil Dispersing Chemicals in the Gulf
The environmental risk of oil dispersing chemicals has to be weighed up with not doing anything. The choice as in the current case is what is available. Different dispersants have different properties and toxins
Active Drillers in the Gulf of Mexico
Oil and Gas Rig Contractors Active in the Gulf of Mexico
Based on the latest fleet status reports the number of rig contractors and operators in the Gulf of Mexico and active in Shallow water include the following.
- Transocean 13 active 0 in shallow water
- Hercules Offshore 12 active 12 in shallow water
- Diamond Offshore 10 active 4 in shallow water
- Ensco 8 active 6 in shallow water
- Rowan 7 active 7 in shallow water
- Noble Corp 6 active 0 in shallow water
- Seadrill 1 active 0 in shallow water
Oil and Gas Rig Operators Active in the Gulf of Mexico
- Chevron 8 active 5 in shallow water
- Apache 4 active 4 in shallow water
- Shell 4 active 1 in shallow water
- Anadarko 3 active 0 in shallow water
- BP 3 active 0 in shallow water
- Eni 3 0 in shallow water
- ADTI (Drilling subsidiary of Transocean) 3 active 3 in shallow water
- LLOG (Privately owned) 3 active 2 in shallow water
- W&T Offshore 2 active 2 in shallow water
- BHP Billiton 2 active 0 in shallow water
- McMoRan Exploration 2 active 2 in shallow water
Refineries Nearest to the Oil Spill
In addition to the drilling rig operators and contractors refineries are also significant in the area due to the impact of energy supply from the spill.
The following list sourced from the U.S. Energy Information Administration shows the rigs in closet proximity to the Gulf Coast spill zone.
- Conoco: Alliance in Belle Chasse - 247,000 bpd
- Murphy: Meraux - 120,000 bpd
- Chalmette: Chalmette - 192,500 bpd
- Shell: St. Rose - 55,000 bpd
- Valero: Norco - 185,000 bpd
- Motiva: Norco - 236,400 bpd
- Marathon: Garyville - 256,000 bpd
- Motiva: Convent - 235,000 bpd
- Chevron: Pascagoula -- 330,000 bpd
Further to this list of Drilling and oil companies in the Gulf of Mexico there are currently 18 operators with just one oil and gas rig active in the Gulf of Mexico. Two of these rigs are reported as being under contract with an 'undisclosed' party.
It will be interesting to watch future activities with these firms, particularly foreign firms since the spill. Trader, analyst, political and shipbrokers responses will be noted accordingly. The spill had a huge effect on the market capitalization of both drilling firms party to the spill and otherwise. The BP market cap lost over $100 billion.
More by this Author
Mick “Crocodile” Dundee played by Paul Hogan was based on a real life Australian bushman Rod Ansell. Rodney Ansell’s life was one of legend. He was known as a buffalo hunter and outback adventurer...
Escalation of commitment is where there is a compulsion to not let go. You have an emotional, psychological or financial investment that may be failing and has led to an irrational compulsion to stick with it or even...
Fitness workouts excel with Everlast heavy bag. Martial arts training equipment for speed, strength and stamina. If you train in martial arts, MMA or boxing Everlast is THE Brand. A heavy boxing or martial arts bag is a...