FactWatch: Is America moving towards martial law?
Note: This isn't an ordinary Hub, it's a FactWatch Hub, where HubPages readers can examine and share information for or against the idea. If you don't know what a FactWatch Hub is or how to use it, learn more about FactWatch Hubs before posting.
The popular belief among Americans is that the U.S. isn't moving towards martial law - but do the facts actually support that belief? In this FactWatch Hub, we'll be looking at the evidence for or against it.
Evidence in favor:
- George W. Bush suspends habeas corpus for "any person"
- George W. Bush signs an act to use troops against U.S. citizens
- Secret arrests of 30,000 people in the U.S.
- Bill to quash free speech on the internet passes in the House
- Attempts to establish a precedant allowing Executive Orders to be changed secretly (See also the LA Times story)
- George W. Bush signs two executive orders to seize assets of war protesters
- Homeland Security contracts Halliburton subsidiary to build detention centers in the U.S. (More information)
- Congress admits to concentration camps, while Senate admits to search, seizure and arrest of anyone on a master list
- George W. Bush confirms the existence of concentration camps
- Video: Starting on October 1st, 2008 federal troops have been stationed in the U.S. to serve as on-call responders. U.N. troops have been conducting house-to-house searches, and under U.N. auspices military machines such as tanks and chemical warfare vehicles from the Soviet Union have been brought en masse to U.S. soil, where they sit waiting. (Apologies for the scriptural cites which someone seems to have inserted into the video.)
Share evidence in favor:
No comments yet.
I currently have no evidence against the idea that America is moving towards martial law. Feel free to add some!
Share evidence against: 1 comment
Having read this FactWatch Hub, do you now think that America is moving towards martial law?See results without voting
If you think America is moving towards martial law, are you willing to organize lawfully to prevent it?See results without voting
If you have any ideas or strategies to organize effectively and lawfully to prevent martial law, such as using sites like PledgeBank, a class-action lawsuit, impeachment or other lawful approaches, please share them when you leave a Comment. If you're already organizing something of the sort, please leave a link to that as well when you leave a Comment.
I hope you've enjoyed this FactWatch Hub, and found it worthwhile. Below is the regular Comments section, for leaving a normal Comment. Thanks for reading!
More by this Author
Much of the Gay Pride movement in the States has become something to be ashamed of - and is actually pretty counterproductive. Here we look into the hows and whys, and what we can do to restore some real gay pride.
In ordinary suburbs in the U.S. and UK, organized stalkers wage a silent war against private citizens. Learn from my experience and that of others just how organized stalking works, and what you can do if you find...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE330
With finances being tight for a lot of Americans these days, here are ten quick options to raise some cash for extra bills, or even a new startup project. Enjoy.