Fosamax Drug Effects Can Cause Severe Femur Fractures & Brittle Bones & Does
Will Doctors Inform Patients About Pisphosphonates?
Bisphosphonates Linked to Esophageal Cancer
British Journal of Medicine | Long term use of bisphosponates may increase risk of developing esophageal cancer.
Researchers tracked almost 3,000 people with cancer of the esophagus or throat for eight years and compared them with a group of 15,000 people who did not have the disease. All were over age 40. The scientists found that 90 of the cancer patients had been prescribed the bone-building drugs, while 345 people in the larger group were taking the medication.
If a person took the drug 5 years or more, there was twice as much increase for age group 60-79 years from 1/1000 to 2/1000. Bisphosphonates can cause inflammation in the esophagus.
News Report on Fosamax Side Effects
ABC NEWS warns about possible side effects from long term use of the bone strengthening drug Fosamax manufactured by Merck.
New England Journal Of Medicine | Let's applaud the NEJM for telling both sides of the story regarding Fosamax bone drug for women. Due to rare but serious adverse events reports associated with bisphosphonates, such as atypical femur fractures, osteonecrosis of the jaw, and esophageal cancer, the FDA performed a systematic review of long-term bisphosphonate efficacy the FDA errs on the side of caution.
Marcea Whitaker, M.D., Jia Guo, Ph.D., Theresa Kehoe, M.D., and George Benson, M.D. May 9, 2012 (10.1056/NEJMp1202619)
- Drug Injury Watch tells us that many impending Fosamax femur fractures cases reportedly unrecognized by physicians and even radiologists due to subtle characteristics as written in a 2012 medical journal article by NC orthopedic surgeon who presents a series of femoral stress fractures in patients using Fosamax or other bisphosponates.
- Tom Lamb also wrote this article about 1,165 Fosamax - Femur Fracture Lawsuits Pending As Of December 2011 According To Merck Report
Animated video shows repair of femur with rod insertion. 3D medical animation from MediVisuals Inc. showing an intraoperative view of a fractured right femur with reaming of femoral canal and insertion of intramedullary rod.
Fluoride and Calcium
Intimately intertwined the two elements fluoride and calcium bind to each other in a relationship that strengthens or weakens our bones, including teeth, infant development growth, and a well functioning endocrine hormonal system.
We owe a debt of gratitude to the outspoken, educated leaders who have done a thorough investigation into the societal impacts of fluoridated water and those who question the status quo. Their voice will make a resounding impact in their communities and beyond.
Natural News | Decades of fluoridated water have resulted in an epidemic of fluorisis, a disease of bone decay. The Department of Health and Human Services has finally proposed a reduction in fluoridating water, especially due to the negative impact in the black communities.
A Civil Rights Issue | The leaders heading up this drive to change the continued toxic contamination of municipal water and full disclosure includes Andrew Young, former U.N. Ambassador and former Atlanta Mayor, along with Reverend Dr. Gerald Durley, Pastor of Providence Baptist Church in Atlanta, both inductees in the International Civil Rights Walk of Fame.
Fluoride Can Damage the Brain – Avoid Use in Children
NEW YORK, June 21, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — “The prolonged ingestion of fluoride may cause significant damage to health and particularly to the nervous system,” concludes a review of studies by researchers Valdez-Jimenez, et al. published in Neurologia (June 2011), reports New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc. (NYSCOF).
Fluoride may very well be contributing to heart disease by stimulating calcification, which means stiffening and hardening, of the arteries and veins. The heart and cardiovascular system must stay flexible in order to pump the blood.
A January 2012 report in the journal Nuclear Medicine Communications found that there was a signification correlation between fluoride uptake and calcification observed in most of the arterial walls, indicating that the fluoride itself likely stimulates the precipitation of calcium within the arteries.
- Study of 61 patients
- Assessing uptake of fluoride in the arteries and veins
- Assessing the calcification levels
If you use FLUORIDE TOOTHPASTE then your body takes in this potentially harmful substance.
- Doses as low as 500 mg / day of elemental calcium supplements (sourced from limestone, bone meal or oyster shell) was shown increase the risk of heart attack by up to 27%.
- Fluoride can be found in public drinking water, Prozac (fluoxetine) and non-stick cookware
- Meta-analysis on BJM Effect of Calcium supplements on risk of myocardial infarction and cardiovascular events
- NCBI | Calcium supplements with or without vitamin D and risk of cardiovascular events
- Finding Fluoride
You will see more of these advertisements on the news
PubMed | Study that shows eating dried plums or prunes may help bone growth for those suffering with osteoporosis possibly due to the element boron.
Science Daily | After testing, it appears eating 10 prunes per day will improve your bones. Arjmandi lead a group of Florida State and Oklahoma State University researchers who tested two groups of postmenopausal women.
Fluoride May Taint Water Supply. Chemicals from China
- Amesbury: Town halts use in water supply, seeks solutions
Massachusetts: Citing problems with the quality of sodium fluoride flooding the American market, Department of Public Works director Rob Desmarais said Amesbury has no current plans to resume its practice of adding fluoride to the town's water supply www.newburyportnews.com/local/x671406307/Town-halts-use-in-water-supply-seeks-solutions?zc_p=0
Effects of Long Term Use of Fosamax
Drug Recalls Website | Will the FDA send warnings to physicians and will manufacturers be required to update their informational drug inserts? What will physicians tell their patients? Many physicians tell patients that the most effective medicines for prevention of broken bones due to osteoporosis are the class of drugs called bisphosphonates. Fosamax (alendronate), Actonel (risedronate), Boniva (ibandronate) and Reclast (zoledronate) are their brand and generic names.
Every day, bone is being absorbed and rebuilt. At older ages, absorption outpaces rebuilding, so bones become osteoporotic. It was believed that bisphosphonates slow the absorption process. The problem is that in long term use these drugs, which we have been told was proven to prevent hip fractures from osteoporosis, does the opposite.
Fosamax and Boniva come from chemicals used in bathroom cleaners to clean soap scum. These drugs kill osteoclasts ( large multinucleate bone cell that absorbs bone tissue during growth and healing) disrupting normal bone health
We are hearing reports of femur bone fractures, first the bone aches and then SNAPS! Fractures are defined as break, breakage, cracking, fragmentation, splintering or rupture. Another bone that is susceptible to injury include the jaw, where osteonecrosis can take place. Dentists call this Fossy Jaw. Other possible side effects include inflammation of the stomach and esophagus causing ulcers. Calcium deposits cause eye problems, which left untreated can lead to blindness. Women are twice as likely to develop atrial fibrillation leading to palpitations, fainting, congestive heart failure and embolic stroke
Although these drugs were developed to improve bone health and strength, increasing bone density may result in an imbalance in the normal bone cell development of the osteoblast-osteoclast processes. Plus, women need to support the parathyroid, kidneys and hormone functions to improve bone health.
Bone calcium, a mircrocrystalline calcium hydroxyapatite, may be extracted from the bones when needed for body function. Due to the imbalance from taking Fosamax, deposits in other tissue organs may develop, such as cataracts.
FDA has issued an early communication to healthcare professionals about a possible association between bisphosphonate drugs, which are used to treat osteoporosis, and atrial fibrillation. This issuance is part of FDA's commitment to keep the public informed about ongoing safety reviews of drugs, even when the evidence isn't conclusive.
What took so long for the media to report this news? Two studies of women treated with the bisphosphonates Reclast (zoledronic acid) and Fosamax (alendronate) reported in the May 3, 2007 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine provide insight into the drug effects. In both studies, more women who received the bisphosphonates developed serious atrial fibrillation than those who received placebos. There was no significant difference between the two groups in the rate of non-serious fibrillation.
IS IT BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY?
FDA has reviewed these studies, along with premarket studies and postmarketing reports on bisphosphonate drugs, and at this point, it is not clear how the data on serious atrial fibrillation should be interpreted. Because of this uncertainty, FDA is not recommending that healthcare providers or patients change the prescribing or use of these drugs at this time. FDA is gathering additional data that will allow for an in-depth evaluation of the atrial fibrillation issue for the entire class of bisphosphonates. Link to FDA Government Webpage where you can read all the drug labels and realize that there have been warnings since 2007.
- Bisphosphonates (marketed as Actonel, Actonel+Ca, Aredia, Boniva, Didronel, Fosamax, Fosamax+D, Reclast, Skelid, and Zometa) Information
Strangely women on long-term bisphosphonate treatment were suffering fractures of their thigh bones (femurs) that differed from what is typical of osteoporosis. These bone breaks occur in the thigh about midway down the bone. I hope women will take this news seriously and search for other options to strengthen bones like weightlifting exercise, increased sunshine intake and vitamin D3.
Dr Mott Indicates Fosamax is a Bone Hardener
Dr. Ray Wisniewski Teaches About Bone Formation
Revival of nitrogen-containing bisphosphonate-induced inhibition of osteoclastogenesis and osteoclast function by water-soluble microfibrous borate glass
- Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ) is a serious skeletal complication associated with the long-term oral or intravenous use of nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates (N-BPs).
MEDSCAPE | Oral Bisphosphonates May Prevent Invasive Breast Cancer [not non-invasive Ductal carcinoma in situ the most common type of non-invasive breast cancer] by Zosia Chustecka
This news will hit the airwaves and people will start to rush out to their physicians asking for Fosamax, Boniva or Actonel the bone density enhancing drugs to reduce their risk of breast cancer. However, you must weigh the information and take a step back first to analyze the risks and percentages, the women involved, their life styles, nutritional supplements,
A data analysis from Women's Health Initiative studies involving 150,000 postmenopausal women and an Israeli study of 4575 postmenopausal women indicated a reduction in invasive breast cancer risk. The women took
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women (just under 12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- In 2011, an estimated 230,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 57,650 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer.
The hypothesis is that woman can take a preventative pill of bisphosphonates to reduce breast cancer risk and osteoporosis.
"The association between bisphosphonate use for a year or more and reduction in breast cancer was strong and robust," Dr. Rennert said. But he emphasized that it was an association, not proof, and said that randomized clinical trials are needed.
Homeopathy | Calcium Phosphate
Safe and Effective Supplement for Bone Health
Tissue cell salts are low potency homeopathic remedies. There are twelve main elements designated as cell salts. Two of them specifically address bone issues.
For hundreds of years, calcium phosphate, a main constituent of bone cells, is taken during growth periods in our life, such as during pregnancy, teething and aging. A nutritionist, naturopath or homeopath informs the patient whether it is a good match for their body type, symptoms and situation. This is an over-the-counter supplement and does not need a prescription. Because calc phos is an energy medicine there are no side effects as when taking a drug which accumulates over time in the body tissues.
BENEFITS/USES OF CALCAREA PHOSPHATE:
- Relief for the pain and stiffness that is common in the neck or back.
- General fatigue, weakness, exhausted, and anemia
- Emotional stress and anxiety
- Slow and difficult dentition
- Teeth that are weak, decay and fracture
- Children and adolescents who have delayed or rapid growth with pains during puberty.
- Headaches with pain running along all of the joints of the cranium. These may very well intensify into migraines if left untreated.
- Digestive disorder such as indigestion, pain after eating, and heartburn. It may be difficult to eat in general as there are often cramps, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea that come about just afterwards. This may even show up in babies as a difficulty in feeding.
CALCAREA PHOSPHATE PERSONALITY
Calc phos works best as a homeopathic remedy for people who are sociable and sensitive in nature. These people often have great feelings of insecurity in regards to their own health and their friends. They may get depressed, feel worn down, and feel improperly nourished both physically and emotionally from time to time. As a result of all of these feelings, they usually become restless and rather uncertain of what they want. They thrive on making new contacts and enjoying new and different types of stimulation in their lives.
Bisphosphantes & Atrial Fibrillation Concerns
Mortality High After Hip Fractures
Live Surgical Procedure
If you are squeamish, I don't recommend watching the live surgical procedure below.
Medical Surgical Fixation for Femur Fractures
Bone Strengthening Vibration
Alternatives to Drugs
Because drugs cause side effects and changes in the body, not only to bone, but to all other tissues and functions, it may be best to search for other solutions. As mentioned earlier, good nutrition over the course of a lifetime is a good beginning. Drinking sodas, especially in the formative and teen years, draws calcium from the bones. Eat healthy foods while pregnant. And, continuing an exercise program during middle age and the senior years, like walking 30 minutes four times a week benefits bone health.
The new vibration machines can increase bone density, however, they are costly. Spas and gyms may provide access to these machines.
Dr Arora a member of Homeopathy World Community has written an article on osteoporosis and Homeopathic Remedies that may be of interest.
Top Five Calcium Rich Foods
Yogurt, low-fat, plain 8 oz provide 415 mg calcium
Sesame Seeds ¼ cup provides 351 mg calcium
Sardines 3 oz provides 325 mg calcium
Spinach 1 cup cooked provides 290 mg calcium
Milk, low-fat 1 cup provides 290 mg calcium
1. Summary of Calcium in Rabbits, John E. Harkness (Rabbit Health News, 1994: Vol.11, p.7)
Calcium Content of Raw Vegetables
- 6 mg Sweet Peppers10 mg
- Alfalfa sprouts 15 mg
- Pumpkin leaves16 mg
- Coriander (cilantro)18 mg
- Chard, Swiss 19 mg
- Radish seed sprouts 20 mg
- Lettuce, Romaine (per 100g serving) 20 mg
- Squash, zucchini 21 mg
- Jerusalem artichoke 24 mg
- Pumpkin 26 mg
- Endive 26 mg
- Summer Squash 28 mg
- Asparagus 28 mg
- Cauliflower 28 mg
- Purslane 28 mg
- Radishes 30 mg
- Carrots 30 mg
- Egglant 32 mg
- Arugula 32 mg
- Cabbage 32 mg
- New Zealand spinach 34 mg
- Kohlrabi 38 mg
- Lettuce, looseleaf 39 mg
- Turnips 40 mg
- Cress, garden 40 mg
- Watercress 42 mg
- Broccoli 44 mg
- Celery 46 mg
- Beet greens 56 mg
- Spinach 58 mg
- Mustard greens 59 mg
- Dock 62 mg
- Peas, edible pod 65 mg
- Rutabagas 68 mg
- Celeriac 74 mg
- Chinese cabbage 78 mg
- Parsley 82 mg
- Borage 82 mg
- Okra 94 mg
- Kale103 mg
- Dandelion greens 105 mg
- Turnip greens 137 mg
- Kale, Scotch180 mg
- Chicory greens 218 mg
- Collards 309 mg
- Lambsquarter 315 mg
- Mustard spinach per 1 cup serving, unless otherwise noted
Sources United States Department of Agriculture, Human Nutrition Information Service, Agriculture Handbook Number 8-11, "Composition of Foods: Vegetables and Vegetable Products." Revised August 1984. These are values representative for vegetables collected from across the country; precise values will vary somewhat between regions.
Children Adversely Affected by High Dose Fluoride | August 13, 2012 Study Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice titled ‘Effect of fluoride exposure on the intelligence of school children in Madhya Pradesh India’ has discovered that there is a significant relationship between intelligence in children and the level of fluoride in water. The study was conducted in the Madhya Pradesh state of India using a cross-section of 12-year-old school children.
Great Resource Links
- Doctor Mercola reprints the Fluoride Action Network information, which talks about studies on Fluoridation and the bone density issue. Always lengthy and fact filled, we learn that half of the fluoride you ingest accumulates in your skeleton, where it can stay for up to 20 years and cause skeletal fluorosis and bone fractures.
- One of the most prolific and popular authors on Hubpages teaches us how to protect our bones. Tatiana relates our psychological state to the state of our bones. Do you feel stuck, or have fears of moving forward, unprotected or imprisoned?
- Learn some natural cure for bones, joints, cartilage. Hyaluronic Acid is important part of healing the bones, cartilage and joints, because it brings the necessary fluid to them and help them to regenerate.
- She talks about many homeopathic bone strengthening remedies such as, hekla lava, pinus sylvestrum, thuja, Silicea, Mercurius, Ruta Gaveolens, Calcarea Fluorica, Calcarea Phosphorica, Fluoric Acid. Many address structural deformities and move us out of those psychologically stuck states.
- The best exercises for bone health will depend on a persons age and condition. People usually reach there peak bone mass by the time they are 20 years old. After that people loose bone mass.
- Our bones and overall skeletal system provide an incredibly strong system for maintaining structural body stability; allow for the attachment of muscles, ligaments, and tendons; and create storage for a variety of minerals and fat.
- Every 10 years (between the ages of 2-30) your entire skeletal system regrows, called remodeling through the replacement of old bone. After age 30 this process slows, and can lead to bone loss, density and strength.
- Remodeling bone growth is dependent upon our hormones and stress, that explains why we must exercise to resist and stimulate growth of bone. Learn how to increase bone strength with diet, nutrition and exercise.
Fosamax and Tooth Extraction
- A personal experience of the author. If you need to have a tooth extracted and have been taking any kind of osteoporosis drug like Fosamax, Actonel or Boniva, understand that these drugs retards bone metabolism or bone turnover.
- "When you're taking osteoporosis drugs and need an invasive procedure like extraction or implants, serious complications can arise," she said. Drugs can remain in the system for up to eleven years causing osteonecrosis or bone death after long term use.
- Does Fosamax really cause bones to degenerate? Fosamax has created such a controversy after Stephanie George, age 76 years, was taking Fosamax for 8 years risked degeneration of the bone in her jaw. As we understand by now, Fosamax, one of a class of bisphosphonates used to treat osteoporosis is supposed to make bones stronger, but can actually weaken the bones.
- A mineral bone density score of -1.5 to -2.5 is considered osteopenia. A full list of side effects given.
- The income stream to pharmacies and doctors are extremely high. Annual sales of ARIMIDEX® are approximately $916.8 million and the patent expired in 2010. Make your own conclusions.
- Check out the Cancer Compass Website where people taking the Arimidex discuss their symptoms. Many attribute their bone pain and arthritis to Arimidex, which seems to have incapacitated many lives.
- Arimidex (Anastrazole) is a breast cancer treatment for postmenopausal women after surgery. Some breast cancer cells require estrogen to grow. Arimidex is a non-steroidal, aromatase inhibitor that eliminates or reduces the estrogen levels in the body. Without estrogen the growth of the cancer cells are suppressed. Arimedex is often used to treat advanced breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body following treatment with tamoxifen.
- Fluoride Deposition in the Aged Human Pineal Gland Jennifer Luke School of Biological Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The Royal London Hospital. The study shows for the first time that fluoride readily accumulates in the human pineal gland although there was considerable inter-individual variation (14-875 mg F/kg). By old age, the average pineal gland contains about the same amount of fluoride as teeth
- A bisphosphenate that acts as a specific inhibitor of osteoclastmediated bone resorption. Bisphosphonates are synthetic analogs of pyrophosphate that bind to the hydroxyapatite found in bone. Alendronate sodium is chemically described as (4-amino-1-hydroxybutylidene) bisphosphonic acid monosodium salt trihydrate. The empirical formula of alendronate sodium is C4H12NNaO7P2•3H2O and its formula weight is 325.12.
About the Author
Debby Bruck, CHOM is the founder and administrator of Homeopathy World Community. She is presently doing a radio show reading the founding work "The Organon" by Samuel Hahnemann on BlogTalkRadio. Debby believes that homeopathy is the wave of the future that provides hope and healing to those who have tried every other approach. Follow Debby on Twitter.
Disclaimer: This Information is for Educational Purposes Only
- The information on this blogsite is posted for educational purposes only, and not intended to constitute medical or legal advice. As with any important medical or legal matter, you are advised to consult an experienced health care provider and/or knowledgeable attorney concerning your specific health & vaccine exemption or waiver concerns.
- No attorney-client relationship or doctor-patient relationship is intended, implied or created by the posting or viewing of information on this site; nor is a doctor-patient or an attorney-client relationship created by the submission or exchange of questions or information via email or otherwise with Debby Bruck
- Readers are responsible for their use of information provided on this blog or linked to from this site. Debby Bruck assumes no liability for the same.
- Debby Bruck has made reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of information on this blog site, but absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
- Always check with your health care provider
Final Note. Sodas Not Good For Bones & Growth
© 2010 Debby Bruck
More by this Author
Homeopathy is an unfolding of discoveries to explain observable effects we see transpire in patients. Homeopaths observe and utilize these experiences, yet cannot fully explain in using today's scientific model the...
Join this international awareness campaign. Take a poll on your favorite EarthDay Slogans. Give us some suggestions of your own.
A frontier in medical treatment. Bloodless Surgery for transplants, trauma, injury and more.