In 1910 Compared to 2010
Statistics from 1910
Statistics from 1910 show just how a mear 100 years can change our lives:
- Fuel for cars was sold strictly in drug stores
- There were 8,000 cars driving on 144 miles of paved roads
- The average life span of a man was 47 years
- 14% of homes had a bathtub, the other 86% had none
- 8% of homes had a phone
- The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower
- $200 and $400 was the average annual income for a US worker
- A pretty good accountant could pull in $2,000 annually
- A dentist could earn $2,500 annually
- A Veterinarian could make from $1,500 to $4,000 annually
- A mechanical engineer would bring in around $5,000 a year
- Most cities had speed limits of 10 miles per hour
- More than 95% of all births were home births.
- Only 10% of all doctors had College educations
- For four cents you could buy a pound of sugar
- Fifteen cents would get you a pound of coffee
- Fourteen cents would purchase a dozen eggs
- Borax or egg yolks were used to wash women's hair
- Women would wash there hair only once a month
- Canada published a law preventing poor people from entering their country for any reason.
FATAL DISORDERS IN 1910
THE 5 LEADING FATAL DISORDERS IN 1910 WERE:
- Pneumonia and flu
- Heart disease
A few other 1910 tid-bits:
- The American Flag had only 45 stars
- Las Vegas, Nevada had a population of 30
- Canned beer, iced tea and crossword puzzles weren't invented just yet
- No Mother's Day or Father's Day were on the calendar yet
- 6% of Americans graduated from high school
- Two out of ten adults were illiterate
- Morphine, heroin and marijuana were available over your local drug store counter
- According to pharmacists 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the bowels and is a perfect guardian of health'
- Almost 20% of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic helper
- 230 murders were reported across the entire United States
One might take pause at the concept of where we will be in another 100 years
HBO / Marvel 1910 TV Series Opening...what if?
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz 1910 Movie
Frankenstein Leaves For College 1910 Movie
DW Griffith 1910 The Oath and The Man the Man Video
TWO REALLY GOOD HISTORICAL ARTICLES YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS!
- Luna Park at Coney Island - A Tribute to Light
Public domain. Detroit Publishing Co., 1905. There is an aura of fascination around Luna Park. At the beginning of the 20th Century it was simply so ELECTRIC! Over 100,000 tiny electric lights illuminated the...
- Cog Railways In Switzerland
With its many cog railways Switzerland has plenty to offer to train lovers. The Swiss cog railways provide access to the most stunning mountain views of the entire Alps.
More by this Author
How to replace a Whole House Water Sediment Cartridge Filter on your Culligan HF-150, 160, and 360 model housing units. A step by step pictorial lesson for water filter replacement projects.
Here's a list of the people foods that are most commonly deadly for dogs. This list surprises even the most knowledgeable of dog people.
Discover some pretty common reasons why your female dog is humping. You will also find simple techniques for stopping humping behavior in your k9.