From a Goldwater Girl to a Golden Girl,(well...close to it...in both cases) forever a Patriotic Girl!
Long ago in a galaxy....No that's not the direction I wish to go at all.
Let us go back in time, instead!
Long ago, there was a political race between Barry M. Goldwater and Lyndon B. Johnson.
I don't remember a lot about it, I was only six years old, but it is still discussed and still relevant, all these years later and so we have learned from it. I've learned from it.
My memories of that time:
- Newspaper boys...a lot of them and Newspapers in red wagons...a lot of them
- Posters and Pins of Goldwater; Grandfatherly with a nice smile, this is how I remember him
- No recollection of Johnson whatsoever
- Everyone talking about the Presidential race
- Excitement in the Air; comparable to Circuses and Carnivals and Christmas... all of my favorite things, yet different
I don't know how close to the election this time frame remembered, would have been.
I don't remember if all of the hustle and bustle was taking place city wide or in a local park near my home or maybe it was happening at a County Fair....I can't recall.
Those memories are very vague, but I do remember that I was for Goldwater. Whatever that meant, I certainly did not know, but I knew that I liked his name and his smile, he looked nice and I was For him!
Goldwater did not win.
I learned in later years, that he did not have the support of the Republican Party and that he was seen as Too Conservative!
Hmm.....why is that sounding so familiar?
Looking back, I may have been the youngest, undocumented Goldwater Girl.
I am a Grandmother now and loving it!
I'm unapologetically Conservative, very Patriotic and I'm still intrigued by Politics and Politicians and the Process. ("Intrigued" isn't the first word that comes to mind in describing many Politicians, but that's another Article for another day, so I'll go with it)
It was my good fortune to come of voting age, when Ronald Reagan was making a run for the Presidency.
America had gone through...was going through...some very bleak times and Reagan was Simply Refreshing!
He brought back happy memories for me.
Not only did I think back and fondly remember that Goldwater/Johnson race from so long ago, I remembered how my heart would pound in elementary school, when we'd sing Patriotic songs and then recite the Pledge!
I would look forward to school, knowing that we'd sing songs about America, as I'd anticipate which songs we'd be singing that morning.
An entire class (not the Choir) knew all the words to 'This Land is your Land', 'Way down upon the Suwanee River', America the Beautiful' and so on and we'd sing so loudly that we'd blow the roof off of the school building. I'd get goose bumps!
I have them now, thinking back on those memories.
Some of you will read these words and you will not get what I'm attempting to describe....sadly, not at all!
Others will not only get it, you too will experience goose bumps, as wonderful memories come flooding back!
When I first learned the story behind the words to our National anthem, words penned by an eyewitness to the events taking place at Fort McHenry in the Baltimore Harbor, to keep the American flag flying through the night, in our ongoing fight to remain Free, I was awestruck and have never taken these words for granted, not once!
We keep the American flag flying year round at our home. It does have to be replaced quite regularly due to the weather and not perilous fights, rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air...Thanks be to God and our amazing Military!
Special Patriotic Moments for me:
- Every time that I hear our National Anthem
- 'God Bless America' being performed during the 7th Inning stretch of a baseball game
- Friday night High School football games, especially in any Small Town...USA
- Hearing Lee Greenwood sing 'God Bless the USA' and witnessing an entire arena of people stand and sing along
- Independence Day fireworks displays
- When I had the privilege of portraying Benjamin Franklin in multiple parades during the Bicentennial Observation at Walt Disney World
- When America beat Russia in the hockey game of all hockey games during the 1980 Winter Olympics and any time America wins any Medal
- Rocky and Apollo Creed and James Brown with 'Living in America' Blaring (hey it counts!!)
Many of us will Never Forget...
- When George W. Bush, so very matter of factly stated, "I can hear you, the rest of the World hears you and soon, those that knocked down these Buildings... will hear from all of us!"
The group of people surrounding him, immediately began chanting USA, USA, USA.
America came together, the World came together, if only for a fleeting moment and so began the healing process for us all.
As times before, it followed a very bleak time. The bleakest time that I can ever recall.
Every one of us were stunned and/or shocked and/or broken-hearted and/or angry!
The President's particular words at that particular moment in time, were Heaven Sent and there is not a doubt in my mind about that!
Which reminds me of another Great and Memorable Moment.....
- When Osama Bin Laden was taken out, Once and for All!
Hearing from All of Us... Loud and Clear...oh yes he did!
I have great memories of our Tea Party Days. We attended many events and they were always Inspirational and Powerful.
Prayer and Pledge and Patriotic songs were staples.
We were surrounded by so many amazing people. Many of them Small Business Owners like us, wanting nothing more than for those in Washington, to see us and to hear us.
Good times and many opportunities to hear some great Speakers, which included several goose bump moments for me, when Veterans or when Gold Star Moms would speak!
Spending time with Lovers of America is very therapeutic, I highly recommend surrounding yourself with those that Love and Respect this Country and that Honor those that have Served and those that are currently Serving.
I recommend putting distance between yourself and those who consistently tear down America and seem to live to destroy. Steer Clear of them, especially... any person that runs for Office, as your Representative or wants to be the President of the United States, all while tearing down this Country....especially them!!
I think that most of us have special memories of Patrotic moments which we carry with us.
I want my grandchildren to appreciate this wonderful Country which they call home. I want them to have special moments when they are overcome with Patrotism and Love of Country and can recall these moments, even decades later!
Sadly, so many of our best times, when we've come together, have been after trying times or tragedy....wouldn't it be Golden to enjoy that Patriotic Spirit year round, through good times and bad?
(Yes, this is one big heartfelt Pep talk. Did it work? Hopefully, some of you are ready to share some of your fondest Patriotic Memories, which have now been rekindled)
America desperately needs them to be Shared!
More by this Author
- 10The Fracturing of a Nation - One Wedge at a Time - brought to us courtesy of...the President of the United States
The first wedge:The President of the U.S. stating his Mission;transform the Nation. The next;his insertion into private matters, prematurely choosing sides. Another, placed between the Police/Public
- 4When Evil came to my town, first I Cried and then, I Prayed! I continue to Pray, but I'm done crying.
My thoughts the day after...Evil showed up...in my town (they haven't changed)
From a Reluctant Trumper to onboard and all in. Let's do this, let's accomplish this! After hearing Trump's kick-off 'Thank you America' speech, I am enthusiastic and eager to start anew!
No comments yet.