18 Ways to Save Water at Home
Water Conservation for Beginners
It has been said recently that the water crisis will be quickly following global warming as the next major human induced environmental crisis. For example, California has been suffering from a severe drought for years now, and many scientists are concerned that the state will run out of water if the situation doesn't change soon. It is a serious water crisis, and it is not the only one. Aside from the possible suffering for the people in California, the drought could also potentially have a serious economic impact and effect our food supply.
It is clear that in some parts of the world water shortages and droughts are more common and more devastating, but where ever you are located, saving precious water should be a priority. Being careful with our water usage needs to become a habit and a way of life.
We need to make an effort to make changes and learn to conserve water now if we hope to manage the negative effects of years and years of misuse. There is good news! There is plenty that each of us can do to conserve water right now, without much effort or expense. It's the little things we do daily that will have a huge impact on our planet.
We never know the worth of water till the well is dry.
18 Tips for Water Conservation at Home
- Make sure all faucets in your home are leak free.Even a slight leak can result in gallons of wasted water.
- Install low-flow toilets throughout your home. Even switching one toilet will help!
- Take shorter showers. Set a timer to help you remember to keep your shower short.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and teach your kids to do the same.
- Consider washing your car on your lawn - double duty – get the car clean and water the lawn at the same time. Or simply take a break from washing your car!
- Install landscaping that does not require lots of water. Xeriscape is a great way to accomplish this.
- Remove your lawn and install a natural landscape. This is especially helpful if you life in an area that requires daily watering to keep your lawn green.
- Don't pre-wash your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. Do you really need to anyway?
- Only run the dishwasher when it is full.
- Only run the washing machine when you have a full load. Consider not washing items after one use.
- Harvest rainwater by installing a rainwater storage container. Use the rainwater in your garden or to wash your car.
- Investigate installing a gray water system, which will allow you to reuse much of your water.
- Do not use the hose to wash off your driveway or deck - sweep instead!
- Think twice before using a pressure washer. If you choose to use one, be sure to use it as efficiently as possible so that little water is wasted.
- Consider self-watering devices for house plants and outdoor potted plants to prevent over watering or drying out.
- Don't pour water down the drain if you can find another use for it! Use it to water your house plants or garden.
- Don't flush the toilet unnecessarily. I know it seems gross, but even cutting back on the flushing a little bit will help long term.
- Insulate your water pipes. You'll get hot water faster plus avoid wasting water while it heats up. And you'll get the additional benefit of using less energy to warm the water, which is good for the environment and your wallet!
Some of the suggestions on the list may seem extreme or expensive. Incorporate the simple ideas first and leave the tougher ones for when you have the time and resources!
Take the time to make changes and conserve water at home (and everywhere you go) and to get your entire family involved! Living an all-around greener lifestyle and reducing your water footprint as well as your carbon footprint will be healthier for you, your family and the planet.
Do you have an additional suggestions for saving water? I'd love to hear them! Please let me know in the comments section.
How Much Water for a Latte?
More by this Author
A lighthearted personality test. Which Winnie the Pooh character are you most like?
Clear and simple tips to finally get your financial records organized, including what to keep and what to shred.
A lighthearted look at sweet things you can do to show a man you love him.