How to use your Segal AmeriCorps Education Award grant
Yeah, yeah, so you're not making much money with your AmeriCorps job. You're working for the principles and good of it all, not for the cash, right?
Still, it can be hard to work for mere hundreds a week... or a month. So it's pretty rewarding once you reach the end of your year of service and find yourself with $4,725 in the form of the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award.
The Segal Award is AmeriCorps' way of thanking you for your service and encouraging you to continue your education. Some of you may have student loans to pay off, some of you plan to go to college after your year of service... and some of you may be done with college and have no plans to use your award.
DON'T LET THIS GIFT GO TO WASTE! There are so many ways you can use this award, and you may know of some of these, but others may have been out of your range of awareness:
- Use the award for school as you go - If you are taking classes while serving with AmeriCorps, you can use the award while you serve rather than waiting until the end of the year to...
- Pay off existing student loans - You might have decided to serve after graduating from college. In this case, you can use your award to pay them off. Just remember that you only have seven years to use your award, and you might not want to use the whole award at once; this can put you in a completely different tax bracket, and can increase interest rates.
- Find a school to match your award - If you plan on continuing your higher education by attending a college, you might want to consider attending an institution that will match your award. That means that instead of not having to pay $4,725 of that school's fees, you don't have to pay twice that. Nice... but usually, those institutions are expensive private schools anyway (there are a couple of cheaper state schools... the list of institutions that match the Segal Award can be found here)
- Go on a trip - If it's related to education, then you can use your award for it. You might want to learn another language in that country, or you might want to study abroad. Contact your college's financial aid office and ask a counselor how you can do this through the college. You'll probably have to have the school send your information to the program. Just make sure you talk to the office early enough because you'll need to secure financial aid before you can apply your Segal Award to costs.
- Buy a laptop - or a car... anything that you can use toward your education. Again, talk to your school's financial aid office and see how you can use a student loan to purchase such items. You can then use the award to pay off the loan. My co-worker bought a laptop with her award... who knew?
- AmeriCorps.gov > Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
AmeriCorps Education Awards
- AmeriCorps.gov > Institutions that Match the Education Award
The following is a map of the continental United States, with markers indicating the locations of colleges and universities that match the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award for their students.
- AmeriCorps.gov > For Colleges and Universities
Every day, college students help their communities in a variety of ways, from tutoring and mentoring children, to raising funds for worthy causes, to helping families recover from hurricanes and other disasters. Since the terrorist attacks of Septemb
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- Facebook - ServeNext
- 7 Great Jobs that Offer College Loan Forgiveness | Wise Bread
More by this Author
While it may be fun to shop on occasion for oneself, there are a wealth of benefits to you in donating to a non-profit or other worthy cause. Your donation could help such an organization in ways you couldn't have...
There are many issues facing schools in third-world nations, including disease and teacher pay. It only costs $8,500 to build a school in a third-world country. Learn more about this option and consider the reasons for...
Christmas holds different meanings for many people. For me, it has always meant family, memories, togetherness, and much more.