Kill the Keystone Pipeline Project
On one side of the ring we have the lobbyists, politicians and oil kings telling the world that the keystone pipeline project will magically create a healthy economy.
On the other side of the ring we have activists, intellectuals and environmental scientists who proclaim that the pipeline will bring more grief than good.
In this particular hub, we're siding with the latter groups, whom definitely appear to care much more for their fellow man and the planet we all live on, than the first group of money mongers who care for nothing more than a killer profit.
Myth Busting the Keystone Pipeline Project
1. The Keystone Pipeline will make America less dependent on Foreign Oil supplies
This myth is FALSE. The pipeline will not make us less dependent on foreign oil, as we will be getting it from Canadian soil, not our own. To add to that the fact that most of the oil is destined to be exported, our economy will become that much more dependent on outside countries to continue purchasing the crude sand oil.
To further the false nature of this claim, the keystone pipeline is not even an American owned project. It's owned by a Canadian company called "Trans Canada", which will reap 99% of the profits.
2. The Pipeline Project would create more jobs for Americans
This myth is both TRUE and FALSE. It is true, because it will create some jobs, though it is mostly false because those jobs will only be TEMPORARY. This means that while there will be a large influx of construction and oil jobs, those same jobs will become useless after 6 months to 3 years, depending on each employees level of expendability. Thousands of short term jobs will be created, and then 95% of those people will be dismissed with no support or direction of where to go. By then Obama will likely just be leaving office and the new president is not likely to care about yesterdays problems.
3. The project will not cause any major environmental damage
This myth is FALSE, as tar sand or sand oil, is known to be one of the most corrosive oils out there and the process to get the oil from the ground is one of the dirtiest methods of oil retrieval around known today. On top of that, the pipeline will either be anchored to or buried within the ground, meaning that land will be disturbed. That land will belong to farmers, indians, animals and urbanites across the mid-west, meaning that the world will certainly be effected in massive ways by this project.
Not to mention, while the lobbyists and politicians have an easy time making the project look like sunshine and roses before anything is built, the ultimate truth is that it's not the pipeline itself that will cause so much damage, it's the future oil leaks that will impact us the most. There is no way to avoid all leaks in the world of oil transportation, especially when it comes to corrosive oils like tar oil, and when those leaks do happen, waters will be polluted into the horizon with no current methods for cleaning it up. We've already paid for damages from regular petroleum as well as tar oil which has been spilled in our waters, and it's costs us tax payers billions of dollars to do what we could and the messes are still not cleaned up!
Why we need to END the Keystone pipeline project
Here are three of the top reasons we need to END the keystone project:
1. It will make us MORE dependent on foreign nations.
2. It is destined to create more pollution from the moments they start building it. From the semi-trucks releasing burnt diesel fuel, to the clean crews that will need to be on 24/7 watch for leaks from the corrosive tar oils bleeding into otherwise clean rivers and lands.
3. We simply do not need more oil. We really need to get away from it all together, and while I understand the theory behind filling up one last time before you give it up for good, the truth is that the first step is not to increase our problems, it's to decrease it. By encouraging yet another oil giant to ruin our lands, pollute our air and water and to have tax-free business on our soil, we are creating more bad than good here.
Have Your Say
Whats your vote?See results without voting
More by this Author
This tale has everything a good one should. Love, murder, mystery, sex, intrigue, lessons learned, fighting, gardening and happy endings. Check it out to learn more about organic gardening and slugs.
Now that you're addicted to SliceThePie, it's times to make the most of your passionate hours spent reviewing all that music!
How to lance a dental abscess by yourself, as a form of pain relief, before seeing a dentist to cure the basic problem.