Kony 2012 is a propaganda film with ulterior motives
The 30 minute video "Kony 2012" has gained quite the hype within the past week. On Monday night the video accrued 15,056,327 views on YouTube. As of this morning it has racked up 52,591,704 views after being shared around the world on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr. In case you haven't seen it, it is a campaign against one Joseph Kony, the leader of The Lord's Resistance Army. The video was released on Monday by the charity Invisible Children Inc. and was directed and presented by Jason Russell. The video portrays Kony and the LRA as a ruthless militant group that has been ravaging Uganda and the surrounding regions of east Africa for the past two decades. The LRA has been said to abduct young boys and turn them into soldiers, turn the girls into sex slaves and murder their families. Now there is no doubt that these are horrific crimes and that the LRA and Kony should be dealt with accordingly. However this film is clearly a propaganda film, complete with all the hallmarks of brainwashing, emotional manipulation, sensationalism, and an eerie hyper-realistic quality.
Invisible Children Inc. is a charity organization that wants Joseph Kony to be apprehended for his war crimes in Uganda. It sounds like a righteous enough cause doesn't it? But where do the donations actually go? According to Invisible Children's official financial reports from last year over 68% of the money donated went towards film-making, merchandising, and salaries for organizers while the remaining 32% actually went to Uganda. They claim they support the direct action of the Ugandan Government, The Ugandan army, and Sudan People’s Liberation Army in the capture of Kony. Meanwhile the Ugandan army and the Sudan Peoples Liberation Army are guilty of many of the same crimes Kony himself is being charged with. However Invisible Children defends their support of them, claiming the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, despite the fact that Kony left Uganda in 2006. So what exactly is Invisible Children Incs motive here? It certainly isn't about saving the children.
The real agenda
In 2006 large oil deposits have been discovered under and around Lake Albert in western Uganda. Drilling has been scheduled to start within the next several months. Many residents of Bugoma, Weragaza, and Buliisa are concerned about being evicted. The U.S government of course denies interest in the oil. Yeah we've heard that one before. Lets face it, the United States oil companies are looking for new prospects all the time. This is what the war on terror is really all about anyway. It is also important to note that China has also made recent advances into the region seeking oil as well. Don't let a propaganda film incite feelings to give money out to hollow organizations that exploit the suffering of children to further a corporate agenda. Look at the bigger picture and be informed about what goes on in the world, and don't throw your money to wolves disguised in sheep's clothing.
- BBC News - Uganda oil rush awakens hopes and fears
The BBC's Rob Young hears of the dreams and uncertainty of people living in western Uganda about the discovery of oil in the area
- Strings attached: US in Uganda -- Puppet Masters -- Sott.net
The US denies an interest in Uganda's oil, but there are many other reasons for its presence in the region. None of them altruistic, claims war correspondent Eric Margolis. American "aid" to Uganda is being offered without any third-party help, which
- Kony 2012: Phony story to whip up (more) war in Africa | The London Evening Post
The London Evening Post -
- Kony 2012: a political masterpiece or effective propaganda? | CU Independent
Invisible Children have been spreading the word about Joseph Kony and his twisted army of children for years now.
- Invisible Children Critiques and Criticism | In-Depth Information | TheBlaze.com
I was a sophomore in college when I first saw the movie. I remember sitting cross-legged in front of the screen while wearing a white undershirt and khaki pants. I cried. How can you not shed a tear when you see innocent children talking about having
More by this Author
Troodon was the most intelligent dinosaur according to brain to body ratio. Had the KT extinction event not occurred would it have evolved sapience? Unfortunately we will never know.
Are people with autism hopeless individuals who can’t function in society? In the past some medical professionals might have said so. Autism, a term coined by Swiss psychiatrist Paul Bleuler (1857-1939), is from...
Imagine being afraid to take a walk in your own neighborhood or even your own backyard. Imagine that there were ferocious predators stalking your hometown. In Bangladesh this fear is very real, and it is known as the...