Military Jargon - What Are They Saying???
Have you ever spent time around military people and not understood what they were talking about? When my husband first said "Hand me the 100mph tape." I looked at him like he was crazy. What the heck is 100mph tape? Or how about hook pile tape? Or slide fastener and thong? Even a pull the dot fastener? What are they saying????
For those of you who don't know the lingo, here's a list of what I know. For those of you who have been there, or are there now, maybe these will bring back some fond memories.
There's so much military lingo out there that it's possible I'm forgetting some. If that's the case, leave a comment with the ones you know.
- 100mph Tape - Army OD Green Duct Tape (yeah, it's just duct tape LOL)
- Velcro - Hook pile tape
- Zipper - Slide fastener and thong
- Button - Pull the dot fastener
- Coffin Nails - Marlboro Cigarettes
- FUBAR - F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition
- Down Range - Any Forward-Deployed Area of Operations
- KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid
- Re-Up - To Re-enlist
- Brownnoser - Someone Who Sucks Up To Seniors
- 90 Day Wonder - 2nd Lt. - Officers Training School Graduate
- TDY - Temporary Duty Station
- Deep Six - To Get Rid Of
- Zulu - Time
- ETA - Estimated Time of Arrival
- Cherry - First Time In Combat
- Cover - Headware (for civilians - hats)
- MOS - US Army Job Listing
- Ate Up - Something that is messed up
- Civys - Civilian Clothing
- Short Timer - Someone who has less then 90 days before discharge or separation from the army
- Lifer - Someone who has re-enlisted in the Military until retirement
- Ghost Turd - A ball of fuzz, dust, etc. found under your bunk in the barracks if you haven't swept in a few days.
- Bunk - Your Bed
- Barracks - Where single soldiers live
- Squared Away - Taken care of
- Dog and Pony Show - Doing something for the brass or the public
- Zero Dark Thirty - Very early in the morning
- 2 Diget Midget - Someone who has less than 100 days left before enlistment is up
- Hazmat - Hazardous Material
- Airborne Stick - Jumpmaster
- Cover Your Six - Watch your back
- Top - First Sergeant
- HALO - High Altitude Low Opening
- Leg - Anyone who is NOT a Paratrooper
- Dress Right Dress - All Aligned
- Good Enough For Government Work - When a task is completed "close" to standard
- Chow - Food
- Chow Hall - Where you go to eat
- Deuce and A Half - Two and a half ton capacity truck
- SOP - Standard Operating Procedure
- Cluster F*ck - Mass Confusion
- Roach Coach - Food Catering Truck or Van
- Grunt - Infantry Soldier
- Attitude Adjustment - To change the mind of sombody not with the military program
- Full Bird - Colonel in the Army, Marine Corps and Air Force
- Fart Sack - Sleeping Bag
- Grunt - Groundpounder, Infantry Marine
- Head - Bathroom
- High and Tight - Fresh hair cut
- Rack - Your Bed
- Chopper - Helicopter
- Chow Time - Time to eat
- PCS - Permanent change of duty station
- Pogey Bait - Candy
- Field Day - To clean your barracks
- Honcho - The one in charge
- Assholes and Elbows - To work very hard, as in, all I want to see is assholes and elbows
- A "Dear John" Letter - A letter from a girlfriend informing the service member that "it's all over; I'm dating another guy".
- Left Handed Cresent Wrench - an imagnary tool "boots" are sent to fetch
More by this Author
Duct Tape is fun to do craft stuff with. Flowers are just one of the many things made with them. Ever wondered how to make a Duct Tape rose? This article has step by step instructions with pictures.
Ever since I've been in a kitchen there have always been these little things that help fix so much stuff. Lemon juice and vinegar help with a lot of scent issues, even coffee grounds in a sock in the freezer (who would...
Have you ever gotten a gift so nicely wrapped with that amazing bow attached to the front that you don't want to open because it's so pretty? With the help of these instructions you can make your own fancy Christmas...