North American Isolationism May Be The Only Solution To The Economic Collapse
My regular Hub readers will know that my personal politics are somewhat to the right of Rush Limbaugh and to the left of Benito Mussolini but I'm suspending my own ideology long enough to write this Hub. The profound impact of the current economic crisis is so broad that it is going to affect the lives of every man, woman and child on Earth, and this potential "solution" doesn't just cross ideological boundaries, it crushes them to dust.
Yes, I'm aware that this "solution" is only partially in the realm of socio-economic philosophy while the balance of it resides firmly within science fiction fantasy somewhere between Middle Earth and Hogwarts. So? Could Julius Caesar have foreseen the Visigoths? Could Genghis Khan have foreseen that the squabbling over his successor would have stopped the unstoppable Mongols from conquering a wide open Europe? Could the cold, wet Minutemen have foreseen that their winter backwoods assaults would lay the groundwork for a nation that effectively ruled the world for a century? Could Mao Zedong have foreseen that just a couple of decades after his death, China would be the primary capitalistic nation in the world? If history has taught us anything at all, it is that no matter how imaginative you may be, stranger things than you can imagine can always happen.
Having said all that, here is the "solution" in soundbite version:
- The Canadian-USA border is erased. The Mexican border is turned into the Berlin Wall. All Military and Homeland Security forces are turned towards defending the continental perimeter.
- Immigration is stopped. All visitors and tourists must obtain a visa and place a $50,000 bond, returnable only on their departure.
- Based on a retroactive date, all citizens within that border are granted full North American citizenship, no questions asked.
- On that same retroactive date, all citizens have title deed to whatever housing unit they resided. The North American government will hold a 50% 30 year mortgage and will enforce monthly payments at a fixed 2.5% annual rate.
- A 250% tariff is set on every single imported product with absolutely no exceptions.
- The gold reserves of North America are fixed to the common currency. A constitutional amendment forbids any change to this policy for 50 years.
- Private banks are closed. Lending centers are set up where investors can pool their available funds. Interest cannot exceed 5% annually for any reason or any purpose.
- All current taxes are eliminated. There is a 20% V.A.T. on the purchase of every item, no exceptions.
Each one of these proposals can be expanded upon ad infinitum and could certainly be the subject of individual Hubs if my readers demonstrate their interest in reading them. But the bottom line is simple: An isolationist North America has the manpower, the intellectual capital, the industrial base, and the natural resources to take care of its citizens in a completely stable, sustainable, and successful civilization. We do not need any other nation's products, resources, or anything else. We cannot as a society continue to compete with $1 an hour labor producing goods in unregulated, lawless factories. The entire structure of globalization is completely unsustainable and has to be declared legally dead. This "solution" may be harsh but within lie the seeds for the new North American society.
Yes, it would be different than today's society by a long shot. We might lose some Japanese electronic toys, some Chinese cheap Walmart junk, and some Spanish extra virgin olive oil. We'll survive. In return, we will obtain full employment, stability, equality, and the wonderous satisfaction of knowing what it's like to live within our means!
I'm willing to sign on. Are you?
More by this Author
Throughout history Communist leaders have seized power by promoting themselves as populists, and often completely hiding their own ideology. Indeed in a poll taken after Communist Hugo Chavez' first election...
Here are the top twenty points (all readily verifiable), to prove that Mr. Barack Hussein Obama is a socialist, communist, and Marxist.
The one and only real Braciola: a slice of prime, lean mega-pounded beef, filled with the most delectable mixture on Earth; rolled, browned and then simmered in sauce all day long! Yum!