Philippine Scene #15 - Jesse M. Robredo: The Man of Forever
I am paying tribute to a man who, in part and parcel, became my mentor in public service.
The demise of DILG Secretary Jesse M. Robredo, the beloved son of Naga City, received nationwide grief and mourning.
As the fateful day (August 18,2012) claimed the life of the dedicated public servant, along with two pilots of Piper Seneca plane that crashed on the waters of Masbate island, his sudden death resulted into an aura of deep respect, amid the grieving of this island-nation.
How did this happened when in fact,he was not that popular in the eyes of Philippine media?
Let me tell you my own version of his story.
Eulogy for Sir Jess
- "The most important ingredient of leadership is character. Most of the proficiencies can be learned. It is what is inside you that is difficult to change."
"By simply providing that inspiration, sometimes the subordinates are better than their leaders."
How could I missed his presence when Mayor Jess,aka POGI to Nagueños,visibly reveal his presence in the downtown since his first term as the local executive of the once-debt-ridden city.
That was 1986, when I was a sophomore student and the snap elections called for young, vibrant leader that will uplift the lives of many residents of Naga as the Marcos dictatorship came to an end.
It was a fresh start for the young leader, a mechanical engineer by profession and fresh from his managerial work at Bicol River Development Program (BRBDP), who executed his plans for the good governance and ethical standard in the city, with the help of his constituents .
True enough, the city started to be recognized as the fastest growing local government unit in the province and the country as well.
The rest is history as it became a chartered and first-class city in the Bicol region. This was attributed to the very transparent leadership of Mayor Jess.
His hands-on policy in the implementation of local programs brought many awards from the local,national and international scenes.He didn't forget his local legislators to thank for and constituents, too as it inspired him to strive more for efficiency and leadership.
Eighteen years of serving the Naga City residents, still,you can greet him openly,without bodyguard, on the streets as he frequently visited the city plazas. His wife Leni and three daughters are also filled with humility.
His constituents wholly supported his nomination as the acting DILG (Department of Interior and Local Government) Secretary of the P-noy administration. He implemented fast-tract programs on good governance and accountability. One of it is the Seal for Good Housekeeping which is aimed for the transparency on all transactions of local government units (LGUs).
He had lived his life to the fullest.
Although,short-lived, his family openly affirmed his perspective in life that,"If it's God's will, so be it."
Robredo on leadership: Character most important c/o ABSCBNNews
Mayor Jess alias Pogi, aka DILG Secretary, your legacy will live forever.
Secretary Jess in the eyes of Travel Man
This hubber once supported the rival politician of Sec.Robredo,but little by little, his admiration grew as Naga City became a more peaceful city in the region.
The changes brought positive outlook in him for a public servant, like Jesse.
- The proper zoning of the city resulted to a more productive local government unit. Bus terminals were relocated at the outskirt of the city, far from the university belt and school areas in order to avoid accidents. Nightclubs and entertainment areas were also relocated. Peace and order resulted at the main thoroughfares of the city.
- Illegal settlers or squatters were given urban housing settlement. Because of this, vacated and vacant lands owned by the city government that still belong in the perimeter of central business district were used for the construction of buildings for local businessmen.
- Clean-and-Green program recognized the effort of the Nagueños as the city reaped the accolade of being one of the cleanest cities in the country.
- The city is financially stable. The income provides more jobs to jobless ones as more projects (roads,housing, etc.) were provided to them.
Sec.Jess had never forgotten his vernacular language whenever he was invited to talk in a local occasion.
One time, this hubber was invited as emcee on a youth program,Mayor Jess also walked on the slippery rice paddies at San Felipe in order to grace the activity. He talked in Bicol, while I introduced him in English phrases.
More on Philippine Scenes
- Philippine Scene # 13 - The Philippine General Hospi...
The Philippine General Hospital is both public and training hospital for medical students of UP- Manila. It is also a training hub for post-graduate courses.
- Philippine Scene # 10 - Dolphy: The Death of the Kin...
Dolphy as National Artist...an elusive dream for the King of Comedy in the Philippine movie industry. But it never discouraged him to contribute more memorable films during his last years in the industry.
- Philippine Scene # 4 - The LRT Ride
The most affordable and free-traffic ride is the LRT or MRT. You'll pay a less-expense trip and less-polluted environment. You can appreciate what you see while having the trip and also endure the smell of different people in all walks of life compre
More by this Author
The issue between Pro-Gun and Gunless Society is the hot topic in the Philippines due to gun-related death cases that increase yearly.
Achievements of President Benigno S. Aquino III are impressive. I even participated , as one of the casual employees in our town, conducting surveys for the CBMS (Community-Based Monitoring System) before the launching...
Water Bonsai is the latest fad in home gardening. The beautiful twist is that you can grow the saplings of your choice inside your home due to a technology initiated by a Filipino inventor, Edwin dela Torre.