Politics Watch in the Philippines - Achievements of President Noynoy Aquino for 2010-2011
June 30th, 2011 marked the first year of President Benigno 'Noynoy' Aquino III as the 15th President of the Philippines.His much-anticipated first State-of-the-Nation Address (SONA) or Ulat sa Bayan had been positively received by the masses.
His "Daang Matuwid" or Straight Road battle-cry in order to combat graft and corruption in government agencies made results as he reported the initial positive achievements of his administration.
Although, he inherited huge anomalies from the past administration of former president-now congresswoman, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, he didn't lose hope to uplift the present situation of ordinary Filipinos. He was able to start the following:
- 4 PS - Pantawid-Pangkabuhayan sa Pamilyang Pilipino being given by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to less fortunate households. Parent-beneficiaries are given P500 pesos plus three children -recipients of P300 pesos each for education stipends.
- Pantawid Pampasada - for public utility vehicle drivers through ATM cards with amount of P1, 500 to support them for their daily 'pasada'. This means additional stipend to buy their fuel for a certain period as oil prices increases or drops suddenly.
- Additional budget for the Education sector as new curriculum started. K12 is patterned from the US Educational System that has its middle school (additional 2 years) for the students to graduate.
- Steadfast decision over Spratly disputes.
Criticisms and all
President Noynoy have spoken his reports in our Filipino language, not the usual English language where most ordinary people cannot comprehend that much.
His administration is steadfast in pursuing the liabilities left by the past administration especially the:
1. suspension of big bonuses for the directors of Philippine National Construction Corporation
2. the P3 billion-peso debt of Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Corporation (PCSO)
3. The P18.3 billion-peso debt of National Food administration (NFA)
4. The P78 million-peso fertilizer fund scam where involved personages of Department of Agriculture (DA) are being grilled at the high court
As usual, the Labor groups like, the Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU) or May 1st Movement is not satisfied with the president's performance. But the business sector gave a nod or approval of the initial P-noy's performance.
Most of the people graded him passed although his popularity is declining.
Too many contradicting comments and opinions from people in all walks of life, but I can see a bright future with his administration.
If he can settle disputes between tenants and landlords, like their Hacienda Luisita and the like, I can now assure that development is at the doorstep for every Filipino household.
Meanwhile, his sisters or famously known as Aquino sisters (Balsy, Pinky and multi-media actress Kris) are continuing to help their brother. They were able to provide buildings and school materials for preschool in the entire archipelago.
Quick Assessment of President Noynoy Aquino c/o PhilippineNews1
Filipino-Americans still grasp the latest news and happenings about the country through live cable networks provided by the national television station in the archipelago.
Philippine News1 at their YouTube channel provided some of the criticisms made by Filipinos in all walks of life to defend the president's performance, along with his cabinet members.
Positive and negative comments can be found at various sites of famous social media (Facebook and Twitter) for better understanding regarding the true situation of politics in the country.
More by this Author
The issue between Pro-Gun and Gunless Society is the hot topic in the Philippines due to gun-related death cases that increase yearly.
Aside from raising your own children, or just starting a family, why not indulge yourself into another interesting hobby: raising herds of ducks in your own home at your backyard? This will be suitable for you while...