Prejudice Test | Racism Test | Are you Racist?
Another test from the University of Chicago
The University of Chicago Shooter Test will see your likelihood of shooting someone who could be pulling out a cellphone or a gun, depending on what race they are. Another interesting test.
Am I racist? Take an online test
A comment by elleissa left on this Hub mentioned an online test created by a team at Harvard that looks at a person's automatic biases towards some groups over others. Most of us have automatic, knee-jerk reactions towards different characteristics in people. They have tests for race, sexual orientation, gender, religious background, and even one for the 2008 US presidential nominees.
Here is the link: Project Implicit Demonstration Tests
How the test works
It's a little strange. You are presented with words and images and must with a quick response on your keyboard classify them into two categories. You're given a word like "lovely" and must say quickly if that's a "good" word or a "bad" word. They do the same for images of candidates, people of various races, lesbian brides, etc. I believe they look at your response times (?) to determine how easy it is for you to make certain associations in your head. For example, is "gay" and "good" an easy association to make in your head, or a difficult one?
Results slidesClick thumbnail to view full-size
My results, from 3 tests
Let me first state my identity and preferences:
- I am white but truly, honestly feel I am not prejudiced towards whites or blacks
- I am gay and feel I have a slight preference towards gays (I have nothing against straight people, but unless I know them, I don't know if they're bigoted or not)
- I am a Democrat who is supporting Obama but have a soft spot for Hillary Clinton, who I feel has been unfairly demonized by the media and the broader American public. I like Richardson but never considered him "presidential", and I have always found Edwards to be disingenuous.
So, in light of all this, my results are...interesting. According to the tests, apparently...
- I have a strong automatic preference for African-American over European-American
- I have a strong automatic preference for gay over straight
- I have the strongest positive preference for Obama, then Hillary, then Richardson, and most negative for Edwards
The race one for me is bizarre. I don't feel like I have any self-loathing issues and strongly believe (and know) that there is good and bad in any natural-born population (and in equal numbers). That said, more by accident of circumstance than anything else, my two best friends are both African-American and I do live in Oakland. Maybe I really do hate whitey! (obviously kidding)
The gay vs straight one is less surprising. I have absolutely nothing against straight people...that I know aren't bigoted. But there is always that nervous uncertainty when you don't know how a straight person feels about gay people. I have been surprised before. I'm fortunate that homophobia almost never rears its head in my life currently, although it's hard to not take the debate about gay marriage personally.
The one I think that was eerily accurate was the US presidential nominee one, although I wouldn't have been surprised if Hillary had appeared on top, even ahead of Obama. My primary vote has been a neverending toss-up in my head between Obama & Clinton. I had never warmed up to Edwards (but mostly because his voting record is diametrically opposed to his campaign platform!), so I'm not surprised to see him at the bottom.
Other related tests
- ok cupid - The r.a.c.i.s.m. Test
"this is the racism test, it will hopefully show you that you are not racist, but you never know sometimes the truth hurts..."
- okcupid - Am I a religious bigot?
"I'll be using advanced logic and knowledge to determine your true nature. This test is for fun only, don't get offended. And if you do get offended -- too bad. :)"
- Blogthings - Are You Homophobic?
Do gay people freak you out? Discover your true feelings about homosexuality.
Project Implicit has a number of other tests too. Here are a few others:
- Are you ageist? (Age IAT)
- Are you anti-Arab or anti-Muslim? (Arab/Muslim IAT)
- Are you anti-fat? (Weight IAT)
- Do you have rigid gender roles? (Gender-career IAT)
- Are you prejudiced against the disabled? (Disability IAT)
- Are you anti-Asian? (Asian IAT)
- Do you have negative associations with religions? (Religion IAT)
- Do you prefer lighter or darker skin tones? (Skin Tone IAT)
All interesting stuff!
More by this Author
The mouth is one of the fastest places in the body to heal, Uf you've bitten your tongue, lip, or inner cheek, here's what to do to get your mouth feeling better—fast.
The Wasp Knife, which the news media has been reporting on recently, is extremely deadly. This is the way it works: in the knife handle, there is a small canister of 24 grams of compressed carbon dioxide (CO2) there...
Updated for 2016: Price per square foot for 20 prefab (modular) home companies' products, including Blu Homes, Proto Homes, ideabox (Ikea), weeHouses, and many others.