When Candidates Were Presidential--Bringing Up Old Stuff!!
Reflections on 2012 Presidential Debate
President Obama came with his win game for the debate. He aggressively attacked and defended during the debate instead of being passive and demur as was the case at the previous presidential debate.
One highlight of the debate occurred when the president and the governor went face to face over one of their talking points.
It seemed as though the atmosphere electrified and the men almost took the debate to a fisticuff! As lively as the debate was, the crowd could not control its urge to respond at points throughout the debate because of the words of the candidates!
Mitt Romney was asked to please be seated by the moderator at one time. The crowd chortled here and there as Obama made micro expression during Romney's explanations.
Mitt offered a calm and collected demeanor except when he spoke. Passion reigned on both sides though Mitt's passion appears to have more substance as the debate evolved.
Barack Obama and Mitt Romney pushed the moderator as they spoke over her. She never lost her composure.
The first question posed to and received by Mitt Romney was concerning the possibility of acquiring a job when students graduate.
Romney did not answer the question but started prattling about his views on the matter and promising that student a job who posed the question.
Obama addressed the question and gave some points on what he will do if elected for another four years.
- One was his idea to give incentives to companies that decided to keep jobs in America rather than outsource them.
- Obama accused Mitt Romney of not having a plan of action other than to keep the rich wealthy.
Mitt refuted that claim and explained several times his plan for the economy.
Obama failed miserably following the second point. Mitt wants to create jobs by using all the natural resources in the Americas to become energy independent.
Obama spent $98 billion to fund green alternatives, which all failed. Mitt did not mention this in the debate, but he did argue that oil and other resource production were down and gas prices at the time were high.
Promises of Obama
America will gain more Jobs:
- The unemployment rate did not change in 2012. But it did towards the end of his presidency.
- Obama did see job growth during the first term, but more jobs were lost than gained!
He took ownership as he stated during the debate; so, he is responsible for the job losses as well as the job gains during his presidency.
American taxes will be cut.
- His health care plan helped reduce the monetary spending in medicare and created a tax increase on the middle class.
He used the technicality that he did not specifically raise taxes per se, but the policies he supported by implication caused the taxes to increase--and will continue with Hillary in the White House.
America will have a balanced budget.
- Obama increased the debt by one trillion dollars each year of his presidency.
When Bush was in office, the budget was reported half one trillion. Obama did the opposite of what he said by far as the most expensive presidency in the US History! However, it is a trend that all presidents spend when they enter the presidency in recent history. Compared to president Bush, Obama did not spend much more than he did percentage wise. Bush doubled his debt nearly and so did Obama. Of course, Obama spent more, though.
Mitt imputed President Obama by instructing that a nation can tell if Obama's plan is working by how much it pays for gas at the pump.
- There was 200% + increase in cost since Obama was elected president at that time and the costs are expected to continue to rise.
- Obama's solution was to continue business as usual, while Romney wanted to drill for more oil and produce more coal. He wanted to use all sources of energy, and not focus on a few as Obama has focused.
The fact that the final year of his presidency the petrol prices decreased significantly is an indication that the President decided correctly. Obama does not appear so severe now. Hindsight is 20/20. I wish it worked with the upcoming election of 2016. We know what Obama has done, the devil we know. What will Trump or Hillary do?
Litany of Failure
Mitt Romney went into attack mode for the remainder of the debate. The president dodged and avoided answering many questions during the remainder of the debate and tried to confuse the audience and listeners by his traditional method of oversimplifying Romney's position or outright fudging the position. It obviously worked
This did not diminish Romney's assault on Obama during the debate . Romney listed all the failed promises of President Obama. The humor of the listing came because Obama had just admitted that he was a man of his word and kept his promises.
The president's chief job is to bring the country together.
Obama divided the nation from the august hall of congress to the citizen on the street. The president did nothing compared to the division inspired by Donald Trump. His tactics have shattered the Republican party and inspired otherwise decent people to behave like hoodlums on both sides of the issue.
President Obama does not know how to make a plan that saves money, but Mitt does know how still! Hopefully, he will make another presidential bid. Mitt is decidedly against Trump and Hillary for the 2016 presidential bid though he did not oppose them as a candidate. I would like less chaos for a presidential election. The US's pride in peaceful elections is stunted. A third party candidate is the answer for me this year.
Some of Mitt's Promises
- He will not raise taxes on the middle class.
- He will not raise taxes on the rich, who already pay 60 % of all income taxes to start with!
- He will remove certain deduction for the rich and lower the tax rate for all Americans. His reasoning being that the rich provide the jobs--rich including small business owners.
- He will support small business.
- He plans to fight the Obamacare plan which causes small business not to hire due to high healthcare cost.
- He will balance the budget.
Obama claimed that he cannot see how Mitt will do this because he cannot make the math work. Mitt retorted on several occasions in and outside of the debate, in a nutshell, saying that he needs to replace Obama because he is better at math, Mitt can make it work.
- By no more taxes on savings account shares and dividends and other accounts for the middle class and no more loopholes for the wealthy.
- He also mentioned that creating jobs will increase the amount of people who will pay taxes, which will help balance the budget--instead of spending billions on companies that fail even with government help.
What Mitt Can Do
Romney took the debate one step further when he challenged the fitness of the president to lead. Romney states that he balanced the budget for his state of Massachusetts. He challenged Obama by inferring:
"What have you done Obama?"
Mitt told Obama that he spent the last 25 years balancing budgets and creating jobs; he challenged the president again with:
"What have you done Obama?"
- Mitt wanted the voters to see specifically his qualification and experience in producing success in business and government. Mitt has done all of it!
President Obama had no experience successfully providing bi-partisan support for any item in 2012; but Mitt Romney had experience.
- Mitt Romney's health plan for his state cost the state nothing and is still working for the state after he is gone.
Obama's plan for health has the same intent, but costs too much.
- Mitt knows how to build consensus.
Obama knows how to burn bridges with the Affordable Health Act.
As with any policy, over time the citizens accept it will not change. They accepted social security, Medicaid, welfare benefits, etc...
Other Points that Stood Out
Obama tried to use the car industry as his success story and villainize Mitt for saying let the companies fail and go through bankruptcy. The only problem with what the president said is that Mitt was right. All of the companies the president wanted to help went through bankruptcy just like Mitt said before they could turn around. Obama did not prevent this from happening and could say nothing more about the subject.
Mitt accused Barack of not keeping his promise of reform for immigration to the US. He was supposed to produce a policy in the first year of office. There was still no policy at the time of the debate. Mitt wanted to know why.
Obama dodged answering the gun control question about removing automatic weapons from the streets. Mitt casually connected Obama to the controversy over government supplied guns being supplied to drug lords in Mexico.
After Debate Perspective
I voted for Mitt.
Obama did not answer any of the questions that night that mattered to me. He put on a good show, but he still did not represent the ideas that I honor.
As a Christian, I do not support abortion outside of incest, rape and endangerment to the life of the mother. I do not see myself voting for a party that supports abortion like the Democrats do.
I do not support same gender marriage. Why would I vote for someone who supports those things when I have in Mitt Romney someone who shares my view though the Judiciary made this a settled point?
I took away from this debate that I am more determined than ever for Mitt Romney to run again, even in the 2020 election if he is still alive.
My advice is to pick the most important issues to you and vote for the person who is most likely to uphold them. I want to preserve family values and normal relationships. The 2016 elections made me miss the civility of the 2012 elections. I missed the days when civil people ran for government office instead of clowns.
© 2012 Rodric Johnson
More by this Author
My views of the 2016 Candidates for president. Read and then vote! I turned in an early ballot.
Romney in my mind is advocating the republican party find someone new to steer its political aspiration for the presidential office.
I know what the men are thinking if they bothered to read past the title. I think the same way. My wife is NOT right all the time. I plead with you men, listen to the spirit of that statement and do not get caught in...