Sarah Palin's Birtherday Tea Party
Return Of the Repressed? Birtherism, Homophobia, Racial Paranoia Rise To Surface At Tea Party Confab
The Tea Party last week turned into a birther, homophobe, nativist, racist orgy of ignorance.
• Joseph Farah, the publisher of the right-wing website WorldNetDaily.com, drew cheers from the crowd by questioning whether President Obama was born in the U.S. "The media, the politicians ... all say, no, it's all been settled," said Farah. "I say, if it's been settled show us the birth certificate. Simple."
• Tom Tancredo, the former Colorado Republican congressman, declared that the president was elected because "we do not have a civics, literacy test before people can vote." Such tests, of course, were used in the Jim Crow south to block African-Americans from voting. Tancredo, who ran for president in 2008 as a rabid foe of illegal immigration, referred to the president using his middle name, and added: "People who could not even spell the word 'vote' or say it in English put a committed socialist ideologue in the White House."
• And Pastor Rick Scarborough -- a self-proclaimed "Christocrat" -- "went after homosexuals several times to choruses of amens," according to Time.
[See TPM article linked below.]
2-15-10 NYTimes--WHAT IS THE TEA PARTY?
- A Description of the Tea Party
Tea Party gatherings are full of people who say they would do away with the Federal Reserve, the federal income tax and countless agencies,not to mention bailouts and stimulus packages, Social Security and Medicare.
- Tea Party Witches Brew of Birthers, Homophobes, Nativists
The National Tea Party Convention, which wrapped up Sat. night with a televised speech by Sarah Palin, offered an outlet for some of the fouler strands of modern conservatism that had long been bubbling beneath the surface of the Tea Party movement.
- Palin Assails Obama at Tea Party Meeting - NYTimes.com
Sarah Palin gave the Tea Party crowd exactly what they wanted to hear, complaining about bailouts and deficits and taking several swipes at President Obama.
- Sarah Palin takes $100,000 for populist Tea Party speech - The Hill\'s Pundits Blog
Thomas Paine wrote Common Sense, one of the great best-sellers in history and made a ton of money. He donated all of the money, every penny, for the troops of the continental army. Palin speaks at a Tea Party and donates the fee to herself.
- Palin's tea party speech full of false and misleading national security claims | Media Matters for A
Palin's tea party speech full of false and misleading national security claims
- Little Green Footballs - Jonathan Kay: The Tea Party Movement Is Full of Conspiracy Theories
Tea Party, Tea Party Convention, Birthers, Bad Craziness, Conspiracy Theories, World Net Daily, Andrew Breitbart
What's Wrong With America?
Wars are dragging on in Iraq and Afghanistan with no end in sight; taxes are way too high and so is the national debt; public schools are deplorable; Medicare is going broke; 40 million have no health care insurance; 12 million undocumented immigrants live in fear of deportation; we've lost the "war on drugs;" roads are full of potholes; bridges are unsafe; China is leading the U.S. in high speed rail transportation and solar and wind power equipment production; employment discrimination is still common; the law is unfair to gays and lesbians; we have given our textile, clothing and heavy manufacturing industries to China as a result of our blind dedication to so called free trade; our military budget keeps going up as if the cold war were still on (now replaced by the "war on terrorism, Islamo-facsism"); Wall Street banks, health insurers, pharmaceutical, coal, oil and electric power companies dominate both political parties and the Congress; we are feeding terrorism by allowing our country to be perceived as siding with Israel in its atrocities against the Palestinians; the Supreme Court is controlled by right wing legal activists; the Constitution puts Senators who represent more cows and prairie dogs than people in control of the Senate, producing gridlock which was surely not contemplated when the document was adopted; and the Tea Party is spreading discontent and ignorance throughout the land. Aside from those little problems the country is doing just fine.
How to Fix Our Broken Government by Lawrence Lessig
A Radio Tour of Tea Party Nation
Newsweek on Tea Party Convention--"Dominated by Conspiracy Kooks"
- Tea Party Movement Is Full of Conspiracy Theories - Newsweek.com
Never mind Sarah Palin and the tricornered hats. The tea-party movement is dominated by conspiracist kooks.
Arianna Huffington on Sarah & the Tea Party
- Arianna Huffington: The Tea Party 600: Canaries in the Political Coal Mine?
While there was much to mock about the Tea Party convention: the low turnout, Tom Tancredo's immigrant bashing and Sarah Palin's keynote lite, it would be a huge mistake to dismiss the movement that led to the event.
Tea Party Hypocrisy--The Nation Editorial
- Tea Party is a Right-wing Movement
What's genius about the tea party branding is that it can shift the focus from the governing record of the right wing to a fantasy vision of a Ron Paul- meets-Ayn Rand twenty-first-century insurrection based on principles fuzzy enough to resonate wit
- Little Green Footballs - Man Charged with Stockpiling Weapons: Tea Partier and Palin Fan
Tea Party, Crime, Extremism, Domestic Terrorism
Joan Walsh, Joe Klein and David Broder on Sarah Palin
- Joan on Sarah and Joe and David
The day the Wash.Post released a poll showing 71 percent of Americans, and a majority of Republicans, don't think Palin is qualified to be president, the Post's David Broder and Time's Joe Klein wrote proclaiming Palin a towering political force.
2-26-10 Detroit News--Tea Bagger Rino Hunt Targets Senator Brown from Massachusetts
- Newly Elected Senator Brown Targeted by Rino Hunters
Thousands posted angry comments on Brown's Facebook page, including the popular "YOU LIED!" Brown said though the bill was imperfect, it would put Americans back to work and he hoped his vote would be a "strong step toward restoring bipartisanship."
Guiding American Stupidity
- Guiding American Stupidity
My grandmother full of wise proverbs, once told me a familiar saying that I now use often: One fool makes many. That could never be more true in this country. Americans seem to be grappling with the...
"Tea Party Vindicators"
Comments 81 comments
Sarah Palin's Birtherday Tea Party
More by this Author
The best approach to improving motor vehicle fuel economy may be to apply a ehicle weight tax. This tax could be tapered in over a 5 to 10 year period with the effect of roughly equalizing the fuel cost per mile in the...
Barack Obama's place among African-American giants of our country's history is secure. Only history will determine his rank among American presidents and other historical figures. In my opinion, he has the potential to...
In the early 20th century a number of Detroit industry magnates including Sebastian Kresge, Benjamin Siegel, Charles Fisher and Water Briggs built their mansions on Boston Boulevard between Woodward Avenue and Hamilton...