The World Of Recycling
Table Of Content
The Importance Of Recycling
Americans as a whole produce over 1.35 billion pounds of waste per day. Americans as an individual contributes about 4 pounds of waste per day. Approximately 24% of the waste generated was recycled, 9% was composted, and 67% was sent to a landfill or incinerated. Only a total of 33% of the waste was managed in a eco-friendly way while the remaining 67% creates environmental harm. As we benefit from the earth's resources, we should also do are part in keeping the planet clean and green. Here are some reasons why recycling is important:
1. Saves Energy - The amount of energy consumed for the production of new products using raw materials is about 5 times more than using recycled products to make the new products. Manufacturing, transportation and packaging all contributes to high energy consumption. High pollution and bigger landfills are generated due to the production of new products as well. Using recycled items to create new product is a more efficient way to save energy.
2. Saves Natural Resources - Natural resources are limited in amounts and most cannot be produced by man such as coal, oil, water and air. Using old products to create new ones save a lot of these natural resources. For example, the unwanted electronics that goes through the electronic waste recycling process can be used to create new electronics and therefore less coals need to be sacrificed to create new electronics. Recycled items can save our natural resources and can be reserved for our future generation as well as maintain the balance in nature.
3. Saves Landfills - Most waste that end up in the landfills are non-biodegradable and require a long period of time to decompose. This creates environmental problem since landfills are limited in space and may seek to clear out more lands to expand these landfills. Recycling can prevent further landfills expansion and these lands can be used for better purposes.
4. Saves The Planet - Using recycled items for industrial production results in less energy consumption, green house gas emission, carbon dioxide, methane, mercury and many other harmful pollutants that can negatively affect the earth's eco-system. Junk removal and recycling is a simple step in our daily life that can dramatically make a difference in our planet's health.
5. Saves Money - Expenses are saved when using recycled items to create new products. Recycled items eliminate the process of the whole entire production cycle such as raw material extraction, transportation, processing and manufacturing which helps cut cost for the business and allows them to charge less on their products.
Facts & Figures
What Can & Cannot Be Recycled
- Junk Mails
- Clean paper
- Clean cardboard
- Packaging boxes
- Telephone directories
- Contaminated paper, cardboard and packaging
- Brown paper
- Shredded paper
- Christmas Cards
- Tetra Pak and similar containers
- Ring binders and lever arch files
- Milk and drink bottles
- Shampoo, shower gel etc bottles
- Washing up liquid and detergent bottles
- Cooking oil bottles
- Margarine and yoghurt pots
- Plastic cups
- Plastic food packaging
- Other plastic packaging
- Carrier bags
- Cling film
Steel & Aluminum
- Drink cans
- Food tins and cans
- Aerosol cans
- Motor oil cans
- Cooking oil cans
- Any other steel or aluminum products
- Beer and soda bottles
- Food Jars
- Wine and liquor bottles
- Juice and water containers
- Light Bulbs
- Ceramic or Pyrex dishes.
Interesting Recycling Facts
Earth Day: April 22
Countries With The Highest Recycling Rates
Percentage of Waste Recycled: 52%
Percentage of Waste Recycled: 49.7%
Percentage of Waste Recycled: 48%
Percentage of Waste Recycled: 46%
Percentage of Waste Recycled: 40%
Percentage of Waste Recycled: 34%
7. United States
Percentage of Waste Recycled: 31.5%
Turning Trash Into Treasure
How Fast Haul Keeps San Francisco Clean
Wasted In America
More by this Author
It is a known fact body image effects on society and personal self-worth, especially in the entertainment industry. To make it big (no pun intended), celebrities succumb to the rigorous and often unattainable ideal body...
The author of this article discusses the latest technologies including the newest mobile & gadget updates.
Running a restaurant is one of the most difficult business endeavors, as the vast majority of restaurants fail. This Hub offers useful tips for beating the odds.
No comments yet.