The World Of Recycling

The Importance Of Recycling

Americans as a whole produce over 1.35 billion pounds of waste per day. Americans as an individual contributes about 4 pounds of waste per day. Approximately 24% of the waste generated was recycled, 9% was composted, and 67% was sent to a landfill or incinerated. Only a total of 33% of the waste was managed in a eco-friendly way while the remaining 67% creates environmental harm. As we benefit from the earth's resources, we should also do are part in keeping the planet clean and green. Here are some reasons why recycling is important:

1. Saves Energy - The amount of energy consumed for the production of new products using raw materials is about 5 times more than using recycled products to make the new products. Manufacturing, transportation and packaging all contributes to high energy consumption. High pollution and bigger landfills are generated due to the production of new products as well. Using recycled items to create new product is a more efficient way to save energy.

2. Saves Natural Resources - Natural resources are limited in amounts and most cannot be produced by man such as coal, oil, water and air. Using old products to create new ones save a lot of these natural resources. For example, the unwanted electronics that goes through the electronic waste recycling process can be used to create new electronics and therefore less coals need to be sacrificed to create new electronics. Recycled items can save our natural resources and can be reserved for our future generation as well as maintain the balance in nature.

3. Saves Landfills - Most waste that end up in the landfills are non-biodegradable and require a long period of time to decompose. This creates environmental problem since landfills are limited in space and may seek to clear out more lands to expand these landfills. Recycling can prevent further landfills expansion and these lands can be used for better purposes.

4. Saves The Planet - Using recycled items for industrial production results in less energy consumption, green house gas emission, carbon dioxide, methane, mercury and many other harmful pollutants that can negatively affect the earth's eco-system. Junk removal and recycling is a simple step in our daily life that can dramatically make a difference in our planet's health.

5. Saves Money - Expenses are saved when using recycled items to create new products. Recycled items eliminate the process of the whole entire production cycle such as raw material extraction, transportation, processing and manufacturing which helps cut cost for the business and allows them to charge less on their products.

Facts & Figures

Source
Source
Source
Source

Recycling PSA

What Can & Cannot Be Recycled

Paper

Recyclable

  • Newspapers
  • Magazines
  • Junk Mails
  • Clean paper
  • Clean cardboard
  • Packaging boxes
  • Catalogues
  • Leaflets
  • Telephone directories

Non-recyclable

  • Contaminated paper, cardboard and packaging
  • Brown paper
  • Shredded paper
  • Envelopes
  • Christmas Cards
  • Books
  • Tetra Pak and similar containers
  • Ring binders and lever arch files

Plastic

Recyclable

  • Milk and drink bottles
  • Shampoo, shower gel etc bottles
  • Washing up liquid and detergent bottles
  • Cooking oil bottles

Non-recyclable

  • Margarine and yoghurt pots
  • Plastic cups
  • Plastic food packaging
  • Other plastic packaging
  • Carrier bags
  • Cling film

Steel & Aluminum

Recyclable

  • Drink cans
  • Food tins and cans
  • Aerosol cans

Non-recyclable

  • Motor oil cans
  • Cooking oil cans
  • Any other steel or aluminum products

Glass

Recyclable

  • Beer and soda bottles
  • Food Jars
  • Wine and liquor bottles
  • Juice and water containers

Non-Recyclable

  • Light Bulbs
  • Mirrors
  • Ceramic or Pyrex dishes.

Interesting Recycling Facts

Earth Day: April 22

Countries With The Highest Recycling Rates

1. Switzerland

Percentage of Waste Recycled: 52%

2. Austria

Percentage of Waste Recycled: 49.7%

3. Germany

Percentage of Waste Recycled: 48%

4. Netherlands

Percentage of Waste Recycled: 46%

5. Norway

Percentage of Waste Recycled: 40%

6. Sweden

Percentage of Waste Recycled: 34%

7. United States

Percentage of Waste Recycled: 31.5%

Turning Trash Into Treasure

How Fast Haul Keeps San Francisco Clean

Wasted In America

More by this Author


Comments

No comments yet.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working